Banana Pancakes

"Tito Hyunwoo, he's been drinking since 11am. It's 7pm and I'm not even sure if he's had anything to eat the entire day."

They have been told to accommodate the strange guest who mainly kept to himself and drank from sun up to sun down. It has been a week and Jisoo, the barkeep of the resort, couldn't help but feel a slight concern over their guest.

Tito Hyunwoo was about to speak when Haein raised his his glass and turned to look at Jisoo, motioning for another whisky refill. Behind her, Tito Hyunwoo whispered, "Give him one more and then that's it. Go."

Huffing, Jisoo took the bottle of Double Black and went to where Haein is. She was about to fill his glass when she withdrew the bottle and crossed her arms. "Have you had anything to eat the entire day, sir?"

Jisoo saw how Haein's grip tightened around his glass, so much so that his knuckles turned white and the veins at the back of his palm up to his forearm bulged in tension. He looked up, his eyes bloodshot and angry, meeting her sharp and defiant ones. Fear momentarily crossed her mind, but still she stood her ground. She can't absolutely take to watch someone, regardless if they are a stranger, waste away in front of her eyes.

"At least, eat something first.. sir"

Pursing his lips, Haein let go of the glass and stood up. It wasn't that he's not aware of the eyes that watch his every move in the resort. He didn't care, they can watch all they want as long as they leave him unbothered. For someone other than his Tito Hyunwoo to speak up to him, much more display a breadth of consideration for him, felt a little bit arresting that he just had to leave without saying anything.

"What's wrong with him, Tito Hyunwoo?" Jisoo asked, taking Haein's glass to the sink. Looking up, she sees Hyunwoo looking at where Haein went. "He's going through a lot, Jisoo. If you can, please extend kindness to him. Even if he snaps at you, because that boy's got temper, like his mother." he chuckled, albeit sadly.

Smiling, she rubbed Hyunwoo's back affectionately, "I'll try, Tito. If not, you know I can snap back." she joked.

"Jisoo!"

"Kidding!" She said, holding up her hands. Turning to look at the villa where Haein is staying, she suddenly had an idea. "Should we ask kitchen to make him something?"

Haein stared at the plate of food in front of him. Tito Hyunwoo insisted that he take it, saying that he'll feel better if he knew he had something to eat before going to bed. Behind him throughout the time he was insisting about the food, stood the girl from the bar. Mostly, she kept her eyes on Hyunwoo, but more than once, their eyes would meet fleetingly.

Sighing, Haein started to eat. He was hungry, but he doesn't have the appetite for anything lately. But as he started eating the banana pancakes and bacon his Tito brought for him, he suddenly felt a strange warmth in his gut. A kind of soothing comfort he needed but never sought for.

He has been hiding. From everyone. From everything that he built. The life he knew in the city is now in shambles and there's absolutely no reason to go back. Now, he's driven back to the place where he first had his heart broken.

What a twisted turn of events, he thought bitterly.

Haein blinked, his vision becoming blurry, not because of the alcohol, but because he was crying. Crying over a plate of pancakes. Crying over the betrayal from the people he loved. Crying over the unwelcome display of concern he never knew he craved. Crying over the fact that he doesn't know how to start moving forward again, or if he even have the strength or reason to do it.

And as soon as he started crying, he just couldn't stop.