With All Our Might, We'll Try and Make It Ours

The change in season meant less sun and even fewer tourists. The usually packed town of General Luna is now more relaxed, and the locals are more carefree. In Angkan, only a handful of guests stayed to surf the bigger waves that the monsoon season brings. Jisoo herself spends her mornings and afternoons surfing the same waves with Lisa.

"Did Haein leave the island as well?" Lisa asked after they settled their boards in their shed. "He hasn't touched his board lately." Reaching out, she ran her hand over the neglected board, "Look, it needs fresh wax."

The low turnout of guests meant less manpower was needed to help run the resort. While Jisoo stayed to manage the front of the house, Haein retreated to his unit to focus on the expansion. Tito Hyunwoo mentioned it in passing during one of their staff dinners because Haein's assigned seat had been vacant for quite a while.

"Did you hit your head or something? Tito Hyunwoo told us just last week. Haein's busy with the expansion," Jisoo said, putting in extra effort to sound nonchalant. "Maybe he's doing some... architect stuff."

Lisa gawked at Jisoo, "I took you as a bright, young woman, Jisoo. Do better than 'architect stuff.'"

"I don't keep tabs on him, Lisa."

"Isn't that what partners do? Keep tabs on each other?" Laughing, Lisa closed the door behind her as they continued walking towards the resort. Shaking her head, Jisoo chuckled beside her. She just can't tell the curious Lisa that she's been itching to hear any update from Haein, be it about his plans for the expansion, the designs, heck she wouldn't mind if he asks her about the name recommendations they talked about the last time. Not that she has anything good to contribute, but at least she hears from him.

"All I know is that he's working his way back to his firm while laying the groundwork for the expansion. He's busy. Let's leave him be."

"You know, we never got to talk about that."

"About what?"

"That time you guys went to check the pools."

"What's there to talk about?" Jisoo said, a little too quickly. Too defensively.

Rolling her eyes, Lisa faced her with a look that said she's not letting it go. "I'm not asking if you guys made out, even if you both acted like it after."

"We didn't make-"

"I know. Because if you did, I'm sure as hell that I'll know."

"Then what do you want to know?"

"I don't know! You tell me!"

Sighing, Jisoo bit her lip and looked ahead. "Well, I told him my story. Why I'm here. Who I'm running from. And... and he told me his."

It wasn't in her liberty to discuss his story, even if it is with someone Haein trusted and liked. It was too personal, too raw to be talked about in such a casual manner. Then she remembered the way Haein smiled to himself while talking about his firm and his plans. Jisoo hates to admit it, but that smile has been on her mind since that afternoon. And as much as she wants to keep that very specific memory to herself, she knew she has to give something. Anything to distract Lisa.

"But he also told me about his plans for the expansion." Talking about it suddenly brought back the feeling of pride she had when Haein started talking passionately about his plans. "He's so excited about it. When he started talking about the design philosophy he'll apply to the place, he sounded so nerdy it's... it's endearing."

Before she could stop herself, she said it. The word she's been trying to think of that fully articulates that fluttery feeling when she thinks of him.