If You Want to Dance then Dance with Me

"So guess what," Haein made his way back to Jisoo. She's standing under the streetlamp just outside Azul, waiting for Lisa as they would all walk back to the resort. Beside her, Haein stopped and faced her, his reaction a mix of disbelief and amusement. "She ditched us, didn't she?"

"Well, I'm sorry but you're stuck with me." Haein said, with a feeble attempt to hide his smile. "Besides, I still have a debt to collect."

"A what?"
"You really thought I wouldn't take on your little challenge earlier, huh?" He teased. A soft chuckle escaped from his lips as he looked away. Rolling her eyes, Jisoo sighed and shrugged in defeat. He did accomplish his side of the challenge anyway, and it probably gained him additional attention from the island folks.

Not that it matters to her.

"Fine. What do you want?" Jisoo started offering her ideas one by one. "Do you want me to wax your board, or do you want me to run your errands for a day.."

"Walk with me."

Jisoo looked at Haein, confused by what he said. "Walk with you?" She repeated, unsure whether she heard him wrong or if there's a catch.

"Yeah. I mean, you got me out of bed, and I was already in my favorite pajamas so I'm telling you, that's a big deal. Huge." He exclaimed, narrowing his eyes for emphasis.

"So yes, walk with me. That's the least you can do. After that, we can call it quits with the bet."

"So.. that's it."Still not convinced with the simplicity of the task. "Just walk with you?"

"Well, I'm okay if you want more."
"Tarantado."

"I meant, run. In the dark." Haein laughed, obviously enjoying himself. Jisoo found herself laughing along and actually enjoying their banter. The memory of their little bickering now lost in the dark night. "Let's go then. And keep me up to date with your project."

Haein smiled and nodded before he motioned to the direction of Angkan. Soon they started walking, the lights from Azul fading fast behind them.

In the island, it can get really dark really fast. That night was a clear one, with no cloud in sight. Streetlights are far and few, but the lack of artificial lights only enhanced the moonlight and the stars. As they walk in silence, Jisoo looked up to check on Haein. She is convinced that something is different about him.

"Do i have dirt on my face, Jisoo?"
"I'm just trying to figure out what's different about you. Did you shave?"

Laughing shyly, Haein reached out to rub his chin. "Always. Gotta keep the baby face intact."

"Hm." Jisoo hummed thoughtfully before smiling. "Lisa's right then. That the island's magic is rubbing off on you."

"She said that?" His smile grew wider as he turned to look at Jisoo. "Island magic." He said, looking up the starry sky, "That sounds like something she'd say, but she's not wrong either. For one, I've been sleeping better. Waking up doesn't feel like an infuriating chore anymore."

"And I felt something I haven't felt for quite a while now."

"What is it?"
"I feel.. excited."

"Excited, really?" Jisoo responded, mildly surprised and rather pleased at the same time. "That's really good to hear, Haein!"

There was no hint of the hurt and traumatized Haein she met months ago, nor the melancholy he displayed earlier. Not that Jisoo feels that he is putting up a brave front, no. The optimism coming from him feels sincere.

"I just.. feel like myself again. It's actually refreshing after months of.." He paused, trying to find the right word. "Of being a recluse."

Putting into words how he's been feeling for a while now felt really validating for Haein. More importantly, he feels incredibly proud of his progress. It was a road paved with bouts of anger, self-flagellation, of doubts that slowly ate away his being. Every day he was becoming less and less of who he is, and more of a shell - unfeeling and absent.