Never Gonna Be Alone

It was the weekend, and the resort was packed, as expected. Good thing, Haein stepped up and volunteered to man the increasingly busy coffee bar. But this wasn't the case when the morning started. Initially, it was Jisoo's task to man the coffee bar, but after encountering a difficult customer who had her drink redone twice, Haein stepped in to help the unusually downcast Jisoo.

"Hi! Sorry, is there anything I can do to help?" Haein said, approaching the the table Jisoo just served for the third time. Reaching out, he placed his hand on Jisoo's lower back, seemingly to say he'll handle it.

"Oh, hi. I ordered an espresso, but your server kept on giving me americano. Three times. Three times she gave me americano. It's such a hassle."

Haein flashed the irate customer his best smile. "Apologies for that. If it's not a bother, I can make you a new one, on the house." Again, he flashed her that smile.

"Sure! No problem. Thank you..?"

"Haein." he responded, offering his hand. Damn, he got her hook, line, and sinker. Jisoo thought, internally shaking her head.

The customer took his hand and shook it. "Johanna. You saved the day."

Chuckling rather bashfully, Haein excused himself, his hand still on Jisoo's back. "Excuse us."

Soon as they were out of earshot, Jisoo turned to face Haein. "Thanks. If you don't mind, can you take over the coffee bar? I'll just stay in the kitchen."

"Is there something wr—"

"Thanks. I owe you one."

And before Haein could say anything, Jisoo hurriedly made her way to the kitchen, leaving Haein standing in the bar, dumbfounded.

Finally, the kitchen closed with a last order at 11PM. It was a party night in the island, and Angkan being a family-oriented resort, was quiet and clear from drunk tourists. Haein was almost done cleaning the coffee machine when he spotted Jisoo coming out from the kitchen with a beer bottle in hand. He watched as she made her way to the shore all alone. Without thinking, he hurriedly finished his task, grabbed a glass, poured himself a double shot of whisky, and quickly followed Jisoo.

He found her, sitting under the lone lamp by the shore. Quietly, he made his way to where she was and just sat there, beside her.

For a while, they sat together in silence, nursing their drinks leisurely, until Jisoo spoke.

"Should you be.. drinking?"

"Oh, uhm. Thanks for the concern, but I think I'm allowed a bit of a drink. Besides, you're here. You got me through shit, so I'm counting on you now." He said as he sipped his drink. "Cheers?"

Jisoo shook her head and chuckled humorlessly. "Cheers."

"Hey, do you still feel bad about earlier?"

"Oh the customer? I'm okay."

"Then why do you seem so... absent."

Jisoo looked at him, confused on why he used that term. "Absent?"

"Yeah, like.. your head's not here. For someone who always had so much to say, you've been awfully quiet."

"It felt unsettling, you being quiet. Because I'm used to you getting into other people's businesses."

"Excuse me?"

"Oh I meant it in a good way!" He said defensively before clunking his glass against Jisoo's beer bottle. "I am just not used to you not.. uhm, caring. Because that's how I've seen you before and this... I don't think this is you."