Chapter 1: business

Sunday, January 15, 1922, Sicily.

- Elise, please go to fetch me my Valentina. Says Lucky Luciano a cigarette to the corner of the lips.

- Can I ask you who is Valentina? Asked Arthur Shelby.

- the woman of my life, the reason for my words and my business advisor. I'm everyone's boss, but she's mine. Said Lucky, with a smile on his face.

- Your wife? Arthur asked, amused that a man of such great power would allow himself to be ruled by his wife.

- My daughter, of course.

At the same time, the sound of heels hitting the marble echoed in the huge house. In the room entered a young woman of about twenty years, with long blond hair, piercing blue eyes and dressed entirely in black. She poured herself a glass of whiskey, took a cigarette, kissed her father, and this, without even glancing at the two men sitting opposite her. It was only after she had sat down that she made a questioning sign about the guests.

- Gentlemen, I present Valentina, my daughter. Valentina, this is Arthur and Thomas Shelby, who have come all the way from Birmingham on business, I understand. Say Lucky.

- Gentlemen, pleased to meet you.

- The pleasure is shared. Thomas replied, taking a cigarette out of his silver case.

- So, what do you think? Lucky asked his daughter.

- Why didn't you disarm him? Valentina asked the bodyguard at the door, pointing at Thomas.

- I disarmed him! Answered this one.

- No, no, you think you did. Said Valentina by analyzing slowly the man who was in front of her.After a few long seconds, his glance lingered on his cap.

- you allow? Asked Valentina by approaching Thomas.

- I beg you. Answered this one.

She hotta the headgear of the man.Hardly had she looked at it that she smiled. Razor blades finely sewn to the fabric. Ingenious, she thought. She approached the guard and slashed his face with the weapon she had just discovered. His screams echoed throughout the floor. That day, the man's life ended at the end of the young woman's gun.

She put the cap on the desk and sat back down as if nothing had happened while two men cleared away the corpse. No one had moved, or even trembled where any normal man would have run away, they were still there. i don't know who they are, but either they are crazy or they are more interesting than I thought. Valentina thought.

- Mr. Luciano, your train to Moscow leaves in an hour, the car is in the aisle. 

Said a secretary.

- Well then, I see myself in the obligation to take leave. Valentina, you take care of it. Says Lucky, getting up.

- And Alejandro Mortes? 

Asked the young woman.

- fuck Alejandro Mortes.

- Already done and not very effective if you want my opinion. Said Valentina lighting a cigarette.

- Well, now at least I know what I'm going to do with Alejandro Mortes! Says Lucky kissing his daughter's cheek.

- So, what are you doing here? Asked Valentina once her father left.

- Well, as your father said, we're here on business. Said Thomas.

- On business? Please, tell me more.

- We are in possession of several tons of opium. The purest you can find. You have the control of the customs, the king, the president of the United States, the police, the world is at your feet, so to speak. We want to sell internationally. But for that, we need you. There's a lot of money to be made. Thomas said, gradually reducing his cigarette.

- How much money is there to make, Mr. Shelby?

- The first shipment is worth twenty million dollars. We can go up to ten million per pass, three passes a month. We have our suppliers. Says Thomas.

- That's interesting, my question, Mr. Shelby, is why on earth would I do business with you when I could; contact your supplier, offer them a better buyback price, distribute it to our cartels and save myself any outside costs in the price of the drugs and the export?

- because we have something you want, Miss Luciano.

- ha yes, and what is it?

- De Beers Cullinan Blue. Thomas said, looking into the young woman's eyes.

- How did you get it? Asked it visibly more inclined to listen to them.

- That is a confidential secret. Said Arthur.

- I want to see it and have it authenticated by my personal jeweler. If it turns out that you are indeed in possession of "De Beers Cullinan Blue" we will start planning the first pass. Says Valentina after a few seconds of reflection.

- Very well. Obviously, you will understand that we will not pass the border at 54 million dollars.

- naturally! I will move, if you are comfortable. Say Valentina

.- well, we leave Italy tomorrow, for Birmingham. Be at the Palermo station at six thirty. Thomas said without ever taking his eyes off the beautiful blonde.

- See you tomorrow, Mr. Shelby. Valentina said as she led the two men to the door.

To be continued..