Chapter 10: the diner is served

Thursday, January 20, 2 p.m., Birmingham, England.

I was quietly sipping my glass of whisky while listening to Dimitri's absolutely boring stories when two o'clock struck the big clock in the restaurant. I wouldn't have cared if five men in the crowd hadn't pulled a gun on me.

Well. I never thought I'd ask myself if a silver tray is bulletproof. The answer is no if you're wondering. From the look on Dimitri's face, I guessed he wasn't in on it. As for the other customers, they threw themselves on the floor or under the tables.

- You could have at least waited until I finished my dinner before pointing a gun at my head. I said while lighting a cigarette.

They didn't answer.

- Well, what do you want? Because we all know that your goal is not only to kill me, otherwise you would have done it already.

The five men came closer to our table until they surrounded us completely.

- I hope it's worth it. I said, stubbing out my cigarette on the floor.

- What do you mean? Asked one of the men.

- Well, you know you're all going to die, your families, your friends too. So I hope what you want is worth such genocide.

Two of the five men looked at the man closest to me at the same time.Well, now that I know who the leader is and who the weak links are, I also know I'll kill first.

- Well, I've had enough. I said as I took a gun out of my garter belt and pointed it at the leader of the group.

- We want De Beers Cullinan Blue. Answered this one.

Jeez! It's crazy to do so little research.

I let out a laugh at the stupidity of my opponents.- But what are you laughing at? asked one of the men who was at his wit's end.

I took a deep breath and shot him in the head followed by another random one. All the civilians in the restaurant screamed.

The flash of panic in the eyes of the rest of the group made me smile. They were amateurs.But then again, they were still amateurs with guns, and they soon disarmed me.Well, let's see what options I have... I'm pretty good at close quarters combat, and this silverware has been on my mind for a while. What else... if I disarm one, I'm armed again. This is going to be a little more complicated. Well, let's start with the close combat, we'll see how it goes.

I grabbed the fork in front of me and stuck it in the hand of the man on my right, which made him scream. He tried to hit me in the face, I dodged easily. I then stuck my thumbs in the eyes of another man while he tried to strangle me. All in all, a normal Friday. But before I could finish blinding my target, he fell to the ground, followed by the second and the third.But what the bloody hell just happened? It's only when I saw Thomas, weapon in hand, that I understood.

- Are you okay? he asked, cleaning the end of his gun.

- Fine, thank you. I replied, picking up mine. A glance at Dimitri was enough for me to realize that he had almost urinated on himself. Such a weak man! Or maybe just a really normal man. I though.

- Fine. For the inconvenience. I said, putting 20 pounds on the table before leaving the sign, followed by Thomas.

-shit, your face. Say Thomas.

I took a mirror out of my purse. I noticed that indeed my lower lip was split, and I had a slight bruise under my right eye.

- Mm, nothing dramatic. I affirmed as I put my mirror away.

With all this, I had totally forgotten that I hadn't brought my car. Shit.

- Get in, I'll drive you back. Thomas assured me.

- Is this another kidnapping, or are you really dropping me off at my place?

- Get in and you'll see. He answered.

I shrugged my shoulders and got into the car.

Thursday, January 20, 2:30 pm, Birmingham, England.

I grimaced while Thomas applied a cotton ball soaked in alcohol to my lip.

- You're not going to cry for a bit of alcohol, are you?! He exclaimed, clearly amused by my reaction.

I rolled my eyes.

- Stop rolling your eyes. He said sternly.

I repeated my action. I'm having a lot of fun pissing him off!

- If you keep rolling your eyes, I'll...

- you'll what, Thomas? I cut him off as I stepped off the edge of the sink.

Nothing. He said absolutely nothing. He just stared at me with his azure eyes. Which usually indicates nothing good. Well, at least nothing politically acceptable.

No, don't tell me that... not again...

And yet. It was all there; the pounding heart, the heat, the chills...

I want with all my heart to look away, grab my stuff and go home, but something is stopping me. He has too much hold on me, I really don't like it.

I don't understand what's going on, but it's going on... shit...

to be continued...