Chapter 15 : one year later

One year later...

Thursday, February 15, 1923, 6:30 pm, Sicily

POV internal narrator:

Valentina, sitting in front of her marble dressing table, stared at her reflection in the mirror, stoical.

A lot has changed in a year. It's been five months since Valentina returned to Sicily, before that she was "dating" Thomas, since that famous night at the casino.

She left, however, was it when she realized that a healthy relationship between her and Thomas was impossible or when he told her, out of anger, to "leave and never come back"?However, their love had not diminished, quite the contrary, which complicated it further. Although she left England and Tommy in the process, she did not break the ties she had with the Shelby family.

She and Polly wrote to each other every week, she had been invited to Arthur's son's christening, she had spent a week at John's house, and Ada and Finn spent their time between Sicily and England. But the person with whom she strangely kept contact, is Charli. He had called her mom for several months and she had become very attached to him. So she made sure to send him letters every week, had toys brought to him and called him every three days. The fact that he still call her mom broke her heart. Thomas never said anything about this, so she thought he either didn't know about it or that maybe he was thinking about his son's welfare for once.

She could deny it as much as she wanted, but she missed Birmingham and more than anything, she missed Thomas.

But she doesn't want to think about it, for the first time in five months, her life seems to have found some stability. She is more than happy about it. She needs this comfort, to be sure that everything is fine and that it will continue to be fine.

Strangely, the business between the Sicilian mafia and Thomas has not ended. The business was flourishing, exporting as far as the United States of America and in one year had brought in 55 million dollars. What more could you ask for?

So there she was, observing herself, in great detail, immersed in her thoughts.

- Ma'am, there is a man who wishes to see you. Said a maid, bringing Valentina out of her thoughts.

- Of course, did he give you his name?

- Yes, it's a certain Thomas Shelby.

Valentina's blood ran cold at the mention of his name. She remained silent for a few seconds, with a lot of questions running through her head.

- right. She finally answered, her voice trembling.

When he entered the room, it was as if time had stopped. The first thing he noticed was her face, it killed him to admit it, but she was even more beautiful than before. Her hair and eyes were lighter and her skin was slightly darker. She was absolutely perfect. In every way. He wanted to hate her, with all his heart, but he was unable to.She didn't move a millimeter, her heart was pounding. She didn't want to see him again, ever. She had tried to forget him, again and again, but never succeeded. Seeing him again rekindled everything, the memories, the feelings, everything she had been trying to bury for months.

- Thomas, what are you doing here? Valentina asked, breaking the silence.

- To be honest, I have no idea. Answered Thomas.

His look changed quickly when his eyes landed on her prominent belly. From then on, he knew.She noticed his gaze and prayed he wouldn't ask any questions, although given the circumstances, he had every right to.

But strangely enough, it was the sure diamond on Valentina's ring finger that upset him the most.

- Are you married? he asked with a sigh.

- engaged. Valentina replied.

Indeed, she had recently become engaged to Timothy, a French businessman. He was perfect, in every way. He was kind, wealthy, handsome, polite, came from a good family and treated Valentina as if she were the eighth wonder of the world. What more could she ask for? - Congratulations. Thomas said, staring at the ring.

The truth was he didn't care if she was engaged, after all Grace was married when they met again, and it was with him that she breathed her last. He was convinced that he would get her back. He knew, however, that depending on who was the father of the child she was carrying, it would work against him or not.

- I met Pedro, he told me to... Oh shit. Revealed Finn who had just entered the room.

- Good evening, Finn. Say Thomas.

- Good evening. Answered this one by throwing a confused glance to Valentina, who made the same.

Thursday, February 15, 1923, 7:30 pm, Sicily

she didn't know how it happened, but Valentina was having dinner with Thomas, Finn and Timothy.- So, when is this baby due? Asked Thomas, lighting his usual cigarette.- mid-May. Answered Valentina.He looked up directly at the young woman. He knew. Any moron could have done the math. If the baby is due in three months, then she is in the sixth month and having left England only five months ago, the child could only be Thomas'.

He was surprisingly pleased to hear this.

Timothy knew for a fact that the child was not his, she had told him all along. But he didn't care, if it was her child, then he would consider it his.

Friday, February 16, 1923, 2 a.m., Sicily

Valentina stared at the ceiling, sleeping was impossible for her, especially with Thomas in the next room. She had often wondered what the worst case scenario would be, and here she was in the middle of it. The worst part is that she still loves him, and she can't help but wonder if he does too. This thought haunts her, after all, she is carrying his child...

Here I am in deep water ! Thought Valentina.

to be continued...