Chapter 16 : mother

Thursday, 16 February 1923, 6.00 am, Sicily.

The light of the dawn came to pierce the curtains on the blows of six o'clock in the morning. Valentina had hardly closed her eyes during the night. She could not stop thinking.

She let out a deep sigh and left the room as quietly as possible.

There was a dead silence in the imposing building. She noticed that the door to Thomas' room was open. She forced herself not to care and went down to the living room.

She had been lamenting since the day before that Timothy had been too good to offer him to stay at their house until the wedding. But she kept telling herself that it was only two weeks, and that once that time was up, she would marry Timothy, Thomas would leave, and she would return to the "perfect" life she had had when he burst into her room that night. At least, she hoped so.

- Good morning. Said a voice, bringing her out of her thoughts. It was Thomas, obviously.

His voice gave her chills. She strangely missed it a lot.

- Good morning. She replied coldly, lighting a cigarette.

- You know it's not good for a pregnant woman to smoke. Said Thomas with his usual sanctimonious air

.- Fuck what is good or not, Thomas. Announced Valentina.

He noticed that she was still as insolent as ever. He liked it strangely.

Finn entered the house followed by Giuliana at the same time.

- Good morning! Giuliana declared, more excited than ever.

She had been like this since she and Finn got married a few weeks ago.

But as soon as she saw Thomas, her smile fell. She threw to Valentina a glance located between panic and incomprehension. This one just shrugged her shoulders.

- Finn, can I talk to you for a minute. Thomas asked.

Was he upset that his own brother hadn't told him that the woman he loved was pregnant with his child and was getting married? No! Not at all.

- But what is he doing here? Asked Giuliana as soon as Finn and Thomas had left the room.

- I have no idea. Valentina replied, staring into space.

That was the question. What the bloody hell was he doing there? Valentina knew for a fact that he didn't know about the baby or the wedding, so why did he come back? It had been months since they had seen each other, written to each other or even spoken on the phone. So why?

- Are you okay? Giuliana asked.

- Not in the least. But in two weeks I'll be a married woman and Tommy Shelby will disappear from my life forever. Valentina affirmed.

But who was she trying to convince? her friend? or herself?

- if you say so. Giuliana replied. not very convinced.

Tommy and Finn returned a few seconds later. And from the look on the youngest's face, it could be alleged that he had been slapped on the wrist.Naturally, it was Valentina who had made Finn swear not to say anything, and she was delighted to see that he was more frightening to her than to Thomas.

- But by the way, what are you doing in my house at six o'clock in the morning? Asked Valentina, suddenly realizing the absurdity of the matter.

- Well... we had news that can't wait to tell you! Said Giuliana, visibly excited as a flea.

After a few seconds of suspense, Giuliana finally said;

- I am pregnant! Learned the pretty brunette, with a smile to the ears.

Valentina congratulated them warmly, looking forward to sharing her pregnancy with her best friend.

Thomas didn't do so much. He was content with a tap on his brother's shoulder, while Giuliana and Valentina were already talking about their babies.

- By the way, how far along are you in your search for a name?Giuliana asked her friend.

- Well, as you know, Polly told me it would be a girl. Valentina began.

So Polly knew! Ada and John must have known too. As for Arthur, he had to be aware too. It is then all his family which had betrayed him. Tommy thought.

- So, I thought of Martha, well, it's Polly who advised me to tell the truth, I don't know why, but I must admit that I like it! finished the pretty blonde playing with her hair.

Finn looked at Thomas, looking for any reaction from him. Expecting some kind of screaming or something like that.

Hearing the name of his deceased mother made him cringe. He hadn't heard it in years. In Birmingham, everyone knows that saying that name can be fatal. But strangely, in Valentina's mouth, it sounded good. And the prospect of calling his daughter that didn't bother him that much.

He still had to have a discussion with Polly.

- It's very pretty! exclaimed Thomas, to Finn's great surprise.

Valentina smiled. She knew for a fact that it was her mother's name. Polly had told her. Valentina had seen it as a tribute, a nod to the sire her daughter would never know. At least, that was the plan.

Giuliana glanced at her best friend inquisitively when she saw her smile like that.

- we should have a party. Valentina said, lighting a cigarette.

- What's the occasion? asked Finn.

- We carry life, damn it! It doesn't happen every day. And since when do we need an occasion to celebrate? answered Giuliana.

- Let's have a party! exclaimed Valentina.

to be continued...

( yes, i did research and Martha is the name of Thomas's mother :) )