Gray: Making Friends /8

SEASON TWO - "BUFF LIKE KIRISHIMA"

-

     Children laughed and played as we all attended recess, a joy to hear after living so many years with primarily adults. I was still a little shy to talk to people, but today I determined to try! Today would be the day I would make some new friends!

     The little seven year old me pranced down the grassy hill to greet a group of boys playing with a ball. I announced myself to them with a big smile on my face, hoping that would show my interest in joining them. "Can I play?!"

     Though most of the other seven year olds ignored me, a few stopped to stare curiously. "Ew, a girl." One boy teased, followed by another one snickering to himself. "Do you even know how to play?!" He asked me. I stopped in my tracks, for a moment staring at my shuffling feet.

     "...No..." I admitted. "But-but-but- yu-you can teach me!" I only got a long, half glare from the boys.

     "...Eh." They left me to stand alone so they could finish their game. My head and shoulders dropped alike. Maybe...if I watched them enough I could figure it out..? No. Maybe it would be better to see what the other kids were doing.

     I forced a smile back onto my face and turned around, marching back up the hill. Once back on a concreted area, I found myself drawn to a group of girls sitting under the shade of the school roof. I approached cautiously, not wanting to intrude or anything but still wanting to join them. The girls were all playing some kind of game with their hands. Hopefully, unlike the boys, they would be willing to teach me how to play.

     The moment I sat down with my back against the wall beside them, it seemed as though I had brought some great eldritch god with me. All the girls leaned forwards, staring at me in complete and utter silence.

     "...Who are you?" One of the five asked.

     "(Y/n)!" Trying not to let my smile drop.

     "(Y/n)..waa..? What class are you in?"

     "1C!" I chimed. At last, conversation with my peers.

     "...Ew.. That's the same class Lea is from. You know Lea, right?"

     "Who?" I was met with several groans. I listened in as the girls began to conspire in front of me that I was some sort of spy or something. "I- I'm not a spy!"

     "Prove it then! Prove you aren't on HER side by telling us who her crush is!"

     "Crush..?" That was a new word. "What is a crush?"

     "Somebody you like, dummy!"

     I blushed and turned my head away, taken aback by the insult. "Like... A friend?"

     "Ughh, no! A BOY! A boy you like like!"

     "Isn't that just a friend?" My prize for the stupidity award was the booing and hissing of my peers so that I just got up and left. They didn't seem very nice, anyways. Maybe I should go find someone else...

     I approached another group of both boys and girls this time. They seemed casual enough. I hoped they wouldn't be as rude as the others.

     "Okay so you play the daddy! I'm the big sister...and-"

     "O-o-oh, I'll be the little brother!" This looked interesting... This time instead of just jumping in, I sat on the outside of the group for a while to watch what everyone was doing first. They were playing family, specifically a superhero family. They all imagined themselves with different, traditionally flashier quirks and hero names to boot. But mostly they just pretended to be said heroes living the every day life any other human would. This seemed like fun. Unfortunately, by the time I decided to get involved, I had earned myself a reputation.