~5~

"It happens every year." Rouge explained as she put a few treats into a bag. Sonic had wandered in seen as this was the only real place he knew of aside from the castle. "It's just some stuffy festival for the knights." The bat continued leaning on the counter after finishing up. "It's just your usual; lanterns everywhere, girls and boys throwing themselves at knights, a dance in the town central. The list goes on." She said rather bored. "I only go because my son likes to." Sonic tilted his head in confusion "Son?"

"Oh, right." Rouge chuckled "I adopted a kid earlier this year as I found him on the street." Sonic cooed - as girlish as he could - and smiled at Rouge, proud that she wasn't an entirely bad person. "I'd love to meet him." He smiled "Oh he's quite brainy! He's often in his room creating contraptions." Rouge smiled "Well, maybe I could convince Silver and Mephiles to come to the festival and I could meet him there?" Sonic suggested. Rouge smiled and nodded. "Well I better go, see you later!" Sonic waved as he walked out with the bag of treats.

_____________________________________________

"Sorry we didn't inform you sooner, it completely slipped my mind until earlier this afternoon and you left before I could explain." Silver laughed, taking a bite of his lemon tart. "I hope these didn't cost much." He added. Sonic shook his head "Rouge gave me a discount for some reason." Mephiles shook his head in annoyance. "We better get going anyway, my brother will be waiting."

The trio then walked back into town and found their way to the town centre. It was rather simple - something Sonic wasn't quite used to just yet. It was plainly decorated with stone tiles on the floors and shops around with a small fountain in the centre, patterns on the tiles stemming from it. It was rather beautiful despite its simplicity.

It was at that moment Sonic got a good look at Shadow without his helmet or even his armour. Mephiles guided him over as he inspected him. His piercing eyes were redder than red - they put Sonic's contacts to shame - and his quills were dark with matching crimson streaks. Sonic couldn't lie, he looked hot.

Sonic subconsciously bit his lip as his eyes met Shadow's. The now golden hedghog felt as though he had stooped lower than Rouge. Shadow just smiled back, Sonic trying to return the smile. "Good evening brother." Mephiles greeted "I would have presumed you would be the knight of honor." Shadow shook his head "I turned the offer down. I can't stand the rest of the cavalry." Shadow bitterly grumbled. "I may find it bearable if Sonia joins, they often quieten down when we have new comers."

Sonic just chuckled in a girlish manner. "I wouldn't think so, I am rather roudy." Shadow shrugged "You haven't gotten on my nerves at this moment in time." Sonic grinned "At this moment." He repeated. Shadow just laughed "Atleast your honest, most other girls dive at the chance to sound good infront of me. They're voices are usually a lit less... deep aswell." He stated.

Silver cleared his throat, the pair turning to the ivory hedgehog and his husband. "If you two don't mind, we are going to the stalls." He informed them. Sonic nodded and smiled, waving them off. "Say, would you know where Rouge is?" He asked. Shadow shrugged and began walking, Sonic following. "Knowing Tails, he will have dragged her to a far corner so they had a spot to watch the fireworks." "Thanks!" Sonic smiled, dashing off and holding down the dress he had on - he really wished he had just stuck with his original 'simple white hedgehog named Sonry' idea.

Sonic eventually found Rouge, she was talking to a small fox. He was a yellowish-orange in colour and had bright blue eyes. That wasn't what grabbed his attention however; the boy had two, long tails. Sonic walked over and waved at Rouge. "Is this him!" He cooed at the young fox, who just stood there staring. "Yes, this is Tails. Tails this is Sonia - a new friend of mine." She smiled. Tails nodded and waved at Sonic. Sonic just smiled at the fox. "From what I've heard, you're a genius." The fox blushed out of embarrassment and looked away, giving Rouge a glare.

"It seems you met Shadow on your travels?" Rouge asked, indicating to the crimson-streaked hedgehog making his way over. Sonic nodded "He's actually helping me get a free citizenship since we are matched in abilities." Rouge hummed in response "Doesn't seem like something Shadow would do, but he has never met anyone with abilities like his." She reasoned to herself.

"Hey Shadow!" The young fox chirped - Sinic gathered that Shadow must be close with Rouge, perhaps her partner? Shadow smiled at the fox before turning to Rouge. "I'll be needing to get some items from my old room tomorrow." He stated. Rouge rolled her eyes "You moved out months ago handsome. How have you still not got all your things?" "I don't trust them." He simply stated. Rouge scoffed"You don't trust anyone."

Shadow rolled his crimson eyes "Just wanted to inform you so my visit isn't that of a suprise." Rouge nodded along, not really caring. Shadow then turned to Sonic. "Speaking of which. Sonia, I don't want to get your hopes up, however I believe your results have astounded his majesty. I put in my own report to try heighten your chances of being accepted." Sonic smiled "Thank you so much! I wish I knew how to pay you back-" Shadow shook his head "No need, your ability to aid in me combat is enough." He stated "Although, we will have to test your sword abilities." Sonic nodded.

Sonic had been trained to use a sword when he was young. He wasn't the best at swordfighting, but it was enough to beat his uncle's on a, rather panicked, whim. His swiftness was a useful tool when maneuvering his sword but his aim was sometimes rather off and his hands often shook when holding a sword. Thank Chaos he was good at hand-to-hand combat.

"I better go find Silver." Sonic muttered, looking around the large crowd. "No need, you can stay with me for the rest of the night. We will be working together if you are accepted anyhow." Shadow reminded. Sonic nodded reluctantly. "I guess that makes sense." He laughed, catching a glimpse of a smirk from Rouge. "We better go Tails, if we want a good view of the fireworks I can always fly us both up to a rooftop." She stated. The fox nodded, taking his adoptive mother's hand, and walked away with the bat.

"We could probably do the same." Sonic suggested smirking "If you're up for it." Shadow smirked back. "I'm always up for a challenge." Sonic leaned in a bit closer, trying to get Shadow to back up. "Ya sure? I'm rather fast." He warned in a playful tone. Shadow also leaned in a little. "So am I." He taunted, speeding off. Sonic soon followed and the two hedgehogs found themselves racing to find a way to climb up the roof of Rouge's bakery.

Sonic jumped up and held a sign and swung over it before just grabbing the roof and hoisting himself up. Shadow used crates to the side of the bakery to climb onto the roof, both arriving at the same time. "Suprised you're so agile in those clunky heels." Shadow joshed. Sonic laughed "Me too."

The two hedgehogs talked about themselves, joked and did whatever they decided was entertaining in some form before the firework show began. Sonic watched in amazement, flashes of blue catching his eye. One blue matched his pelt - that he had since covered in some gold powder - and he needed to point it out. "Look! That blues so pretty!" He gaped. Shadow chuckled "You like blue I take it?" Sonic nodded his head "What's you're favourite colour?" He asked "Red." Shadow stated, eyes returning to the fireworks.

This was going to be a nice night. Nicer than what Sonic had experienced in a long time. It was definitley a night Sonic would remember no matter what happened after. He just hoped Shadow had the same feeling towards it like he had.