~16~

The small hedgehog jumped around excitedly, watching his sister intently. Her golden fur reflected off of the nearby oil lamp, creating a large yellow glow on his face. She gave him a small smile, patting his head as she walked passed to get more of her belongings.

Another hedgehog walked in, slightly older than both hedgehogs however perfectly mirroring the youngest of the three, save for the cyan streaks and green eyes. He gave his sister a nod, which she returned very quickly as she continued to pack. "When will you come back?" The eldest brother quizzed, making his way over to aid his younger sister in packing."I'm not too sure." She replied solemnly.

The golden hedgehog looked up to their youngest sibling, patting his head once more. "I hope it isn't too long though." She smiled. "But any time away is too long!" The youngest brother whined as he was picked up by his sister, who rested him on her hip to continue packing.

"I won't be gone long Shadow, I promise." She smiled. "And when I come back, I'll be all better." She reasoned. "But what if it doesn't work?" The youngest hedgehog asked, ruby eyes filled with worry. "It will Shadow, I promise." She reassured. "And if it doesn't we can find another way." She added, growing nervous herself.

The eldest brother took the youngest from their sister. "You keep packing." He instructed and adjusted the way he held his younger brother before he walked out of the room.

________________________________

The young hedgehog walked down the stairs, hearing the cries of his weeping mother. He could sense the grief emminating from downstairs from the very moment he awoke.

He first went unnoticed as he entered the threshold of the doorway, finding his mother sobbing, his brother sat on the opposite side of the room in a lone chair by a bookshelf looking distraught. His father was engulfing his mother in a hug, looking as though he himself was on the verge of tears.

"What happened?" He asked hesitantly, each member of the family looking to him in pure terror. "Shadow..." his mother gasped. She stuttered for awhile, seemingly at a loss for words. "Maria... she didn't make it." Mephiles said, the pain evident in his voice. Ruby eyes widened in oure terror, the pit of his stomach began churning and his heart dropped. "No... she was supposed to get better!" He shouted, tears pooling in his eyes. "The ship... it sank. She drowned." The small hedgehog became hysterical, falling to his knees as he processed the information.

She was gone. One of the only people in the village who understood him - his own sister - she was gone.