~6~

Sonic woke up, drowsy. He yawned before getting up and making his way to the shower Silver had shown him, ensuring he took his powder, dress, contacts, shoes, etc. with him.

The lapiz hedgehog groaned as the cold water hit his face, scrubbing every inch of his body to the best of his ability before drying off and applying the gold, sticky powder all over himself and putting in his eye contacts. The corset was a rather hard, painful task no one should have to endure however Sonic was more than happy he would soon no longer need it as he would hide under a metal suit most days if he were accepted.

Sonic then made his way downstairs, making breakfast with his very little knowledge and skill and chugged some water in hopes of numbing a headache resulting from staying up so late the night prior. Why did he agree to stay so much later with Shadow? He was good company, yes, but he wasn't worth losing sleep over.

Silver then shuffled down the stairs, his quills as unruly as they were when styled, giving him a very odd looking crown-like clump of hair on the front of his head. Sonic tried to stiffle a laugh, ultimately failing as he bent over the table laughing.

Silver rolled his eyes "Good morning to you too." He hissed, helping himself to a serving of toast. "Sorry-" Sonic managed to squeak through his laughing fit. "You sound rather male when you laugh." Silver remarked, causing Sonic to stop laughing, disguising it with a fake cough. "Yeah, I get that quite a lot for some reason." He tried to shrug off. Silver just nodded along.

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door. Sonic took the liberty of opening, being greated by Shadow - still not in his armour. The gold hedgehog moved aside to let Shadow inside, said hedgehog walking in and sitting by Silver - who gave him a wave and a smile.

Shadow cleared his throat and indicated to a chair, telling Sonic to sit down. Sonic obliged almost immediately, pulling out the chair and sitting down rather speedily in anticipation for whatever the hedgehog was about to say.

"Sonia, the king has accepted your appeal and you will be crowned a knight soon enough." Shadow stated, Sonic cheered. His cheers were cut short with Shadow continuing his statement. "You are my assigned partner and I am your mentor, however you do not begin payed knight work until your citizenship has been approved. You may work before then, but you won't be payed."

Sonic nodded. He was excited to get something to cover himself with that wasn't a corset or agitating gold powder. He would only need scarce powder around his face and eye contacts on most days then - which was a relief.

"I will start whenever." Sonic smiled. Shadow nodded, still serious. "If you would like to start early, report to the knight's quarters at 6am sharp. You will find my quarters easily. When you find me, we can get you measured and get your armour sorted. We can then practice swordsmanship and any other skill you need."

Sonic smiled "Thank you, Shadow." Shadow nodded back. "I must go now, my training begins shortly and I shall inform the king of your decision. I will look forward to seeing you tomorrow." He then got up and made his way towards the door. "Farewell, Shadow!" Sonic smiled, Shadow turned back to Sonic as his hand met the handle. "Goodbye." He returned before opening the door and leaving.

Sonic then returned to his food. Silver just smirked to himself, content with something. Sonic gave him a suspecting look. Silver just sighed "It's nothing Sonia, although it's rather concerning you haven't picked up on it." He said in a nonchalant manner. "What do you mean?"

Silver just rolled his eyes with a sigh playfully. "My, you're both as dumb as one another." He laughed "He is, infatuated with you so-to-speak." Sonic shook his head in disbelief "We have barely met, Silver. Besides, I may find him rather attractive it doesn't mean I'm interested in 'seeing' him." Sonic whispered, more reassuring himself if anything.

He was only now seeing the repricussions of what was supposed to be a brilliant plan. He would forever be known as Sonia The Hedgehog. He would be lost to time, maybe even lost to himself. He would also remain single for his entire life, anyone interested would be interested in Sonia. Sonia wasn't Sonic.

He sighed shaking his head "Silver, I'll never be able to marry." He announced. "Don't be so down Sonia. You are a beautiful woman, if Shadow likes you the entire village will." Silver reassured, giving Sonic a side hug. Sonic shook his head, sighing. "No... Silver there's just some... things associated with marriage that prohibit me from it."

"Are you infertile?" Silver abruptly asked "Marriage isn't about kids, it's about loving your partner and trusting them." Sonic shook his head "It's sweet Silver, really. But it's something else. I would love to settle but I will probably never have the opportunity."

Silver nodded "It is your choice, Sonia. It's your choice to put yourself out there and it's not your fault you won't be accepted by many people." Silver smiled reassuringly. Sonic nodded, smiling. "Thank you Silver."

He wasn't sure what had triggered such a response but he was glad that he had. He had some form of confidence within himself at that moment in time. Maybe it wouldn't be too bad afterall. With opportunities left and right and supportive friends, Sonic couldn't go wrong. Although, he would have to tell them everything eventually, wouldn't he?