~8~

Sonic gave himself one final check in the mirror, adjusting an eyelash that had drooped slightly.

His pride in his somewhat perfection was soon ruined as Silver chuckled. "Don't see why you're trying so hard, Sonic. That makeup will just be ruined anyhow." Sonic shook his head. "I'm currently just an apprentice until my citizenship is approved. I won't be doing much." Silver sighed, shaking his head and he handed Sonic a bag of food for later. "Shadow has a lot of priorities seen as he is head guard." Silver elaborated as he adjusted Sonic's collar.

"You're acting like my mother on the first day of school." Sonic teased, smirking. Silver glared at Sonic, golden eyes practically turning red as his annoyance surfaced. "Y'know... suddenly I might have to follow kingdom protocol..." Silver joshed. Sonic just chuckled "Okay, I'm sorry Silver." He smiled at the other. "I better get going now, see ya!" He called as he left the small house. Silver waved, closing the door Sonic had forgotten about as he exited.

Sonic made his way through the village, very conscious of how late he probably would be if he couldn't run as fast as he could - Silver had fixed him a skirt with shorts underneath and so there was no risk factor he could stumble upon whilst running. Hopefully.

Recieving odd looks from the guards, Sonic arrived at the castle. A guard walked up to him and lifted up his metal visor (idk if they're called that but 🤷‍♂️) revealing washed out blue eyes and bright green fur.

The hedgehog bit his lip and looked Sonic up and down, much to his dismay. "If you could refrain from looking at me that would be nice, thank you." Sonic snarled, donning a girly voice. The guard smirked, shaking his head. "Why's a pretty lady like you here at this hour?" Sonic giggled "Hoping to avoid creeps like you." He smiled whilst tilting his head. Some other guards sneered at Sonic's comment.

"Now please move aside I have business with Shadow." Sonic said, a touch of snobbiness in his voice. The hedgehog gulped upon the mention of his higher-up. Maybe he thought Sonic would rat on him? In all honesty Sonic felt like doing so out of spite now the hedgehog's fake confidence had cracked.

Sonic quickly shoved the other aside with his arm and walked on forward, stopping and turning on his heel suddenly. "Could any of you be a gentlemen and direct me to the knight's chamber?" He asked. "Take a left and then a right darlin'. You'll find some ladders. Take the door to the left of 'em." A feminine voice called. Sonic looked towards the knight, smiling. "Thank you miss. Atleast you have some manners."

Sonic then turned with a 'hmph' and walked off with his heels clicking against the stone brick floor, waiting until he wasn't visible before he laughed at his own acting. He somehow had reminded himself of his sister, the real Sonia. His mood then suddenly saddened at the mention of her. He missed both of his siblings, a lot more than he probably should. They were alive, he knew that, but it felt as though his memory of them were dead.

Shaking himself out of his thoughts, he pressed on through the corridors and followed the directions he had been given. He soon found a wooden sign hung above a doorway indicating it was the knight's quarters.

Behind it was a large corridor. Doors littered the left and right walls and lead up to a much larger door, presumably their meeting room. Sonic walked along the corridor and read the signs hung above each door, 'Knuckles', 'Sally', 'Scourge'. Each read a name, presumably the owner of that room. Sonic eventually found Shadow's room at the very end of the right-hand wall.

Sonic brought his hand to the door and knocked reluctantly. A moody-looking Shadow opened the door, his mood brightening as he saw Sonic. "Morning." He greeted, moving aside to let him in. "I thought Scourge would have been here by now to tell me to get up." Shadow explained.

Sonic scoffed "can't be any worse than that green hedgehog outside - the sicko was looking me up and down." Shadow's eyes widened. "Blue eyes?" He asked. Sonic nodded. Shadow scowled "That's Scourge." He spat as he began to prepare some makeshift food. Sonic's face twisted in disguist. "I'll have to report him and reprimand him for that. Hes on a watch list due to his... illicit behavior."  Sonic scoffed "I'll reprimand him for you."

The room went silent as Shadow busied himself with food, Sonic finally getting to take a look at the room.

It was a small room, a bed tucked in the back left with a kitchen area near the doorway, a stone backing decorating the wall. The floor was some sort of oak - possibly spruce - that matched the wooden supports in the corners and midpoints of each walls. A single painting was also hung on one of the many stone brick walls. It was attached to some string that had been nailed into the wall, no frame evident.

Out of curiosity, Sonic etched towards it and stroked one of the freying corners. The painting was of a young hedgehog. She had seemingly golden fur and bright blue eyes, a headband and dress to match. Shadow was also in the painting, much younger however and was sat in the sitting girl's lap. The two were smiling at - presumably - the painter. It was a really touching painting.

Sonic chose to leave the picture. It was clearly of importance to Shadow and would allow the ebony hedgehog to tell him about her when he's ready, on his own terms.

"Have you had any breakfast?" Shadow asked as he prepared himself a wooden bowl. "Uhm... no. Silver wasn't up and I was running behind." Shadow nodded in understandment before grabbing another bowl from his cubby. "I'm not sure if you'll like this - we don't have much variety here - but if and when you do join you can always ask Rouge for a breakfast." The ebony hedgehog explained.

Shadow placed the bowls on the table, encouraging Sonic to sit down. Sonic did as so and thanked Shadow before reluctantly taking a spoonful of porridge. As the taste filled his mouth, his eyes practically lit up with excitement.

"You said you didn't have much variety!" Sonic explained, his voice almost breaking - which he tried to disguise with a cough. Shadow shrugged "I try my best." He replied. Sonic shook his head "I mena no offense to Rouge, but this is far better than what she's given me!" Shadow just smirked, shaking his head and looking down at his bowl. "Just eat up before it gets cold - it won't taste good then." The ebony hedgehog smirked, eating his own porridge.