The beginning

In the Valley of the End, sounds of explosions were heard as a great duel ensued. Sasuke Uchiha, last of the once mighty Uchiha clan was fighting against his rival/ best friend, the jinchuriki of the 9 tails, Naruto Uzumaki.

When Sasuke Uchiha was offered training and more power under one of the most damgerous criminals in the ninja world, Orochimaru of the Sannin, he gave into his temptation and left the Leaf village but the 5th Hokage, Tsunade Senju, had dispatched a recovery team to bring Sasuke Uchiha back.

The team consisted of it's leader, recently made chunin, Shikamaru Nara, his best friend Choji Akimichi, the hot headed Kiba Inuzuka, the prodigy Neji Hyuga and of course, Naruto Uzumaki. The young genin Rock Lee also came to aid the team. The team, however, was faced with difficult challenges as Orochimaru's loyal minions, the Sound 4, had fought the team members so that Sasuke can reach their master. The Leaf team held their ground but the price was high. Neji got a hole in his chest and Choji nearly died from chakra exhaustion. Kiba and Shikamaru would've been killed had it not been for the timely arrival of the Sand Siblings.

Now, Naruto used the fox's power and was in his 2 tails chakra cloak fighting Sasuke's second stage of the curse seal. ''Come back, Sasuke! Don't make me hurt you!'' Naruto pleaded with his friend to return but the Uchiha did not care one tiny bit.

''Why do you care so much about me!? I have to kill Itachi... to avenge my clan. And if I have to leave the village to do it then by all means I'll do it!'' Sasuke shouted back to his rival and best friend.

''Don't do it, Sasuke! Orochimaru is only going to use you! Come back with me, to the village. To Sakura, Kakashi sensei and our friends. Do you have any idea how much you hurt Sakura?''

''Who cares what that pink haired hoe thinks!?'' Sasuke replied, shocking Naruto. ''My revenge is all that matters to me, Naruto! Why do you care so much about me!?''

''Because you are my best friend.''

''Best friend huh? Then, I'll just have to sever that bond!'' Sasuke shouted as he made a chidori on his left hand and surged forward to Naruto. ''Here I come, Naruto!''

''Sasuke!'' Naruto shouted the Uchiha's name, the rasengan spiralling in his right arm as the two powerful jutsu clashed and they were engulfed in an orb of light.

Naruto had foolishly chosen not to harm Sasuke when the latter fully intended to do so and as such, in a small burst the chidori pierced the rasengan. Even though the rasengan was the more stronger jutsu, Naruto did not use it to it's full power and the Uchiha cut off the blonde Uzumaki's right arm and pierced his former friend's right side.

In a loud splash of water, Naruto fell down into the waters as Sasuke, tears flowing down his cheeks for killing his friend, had his eyes changed to the Mangekyō.
______________________________________

Naruto was in his mindscape with the fox. The previous damage of Sasuke piercing a chidori through his chest combined with the heavy loss of blood, the right arm and damage to the right side of his face ( including the skull and brains) was too much for even the fox's chakra to heal.

'Is this it? Is this how I die? Without becoming the Hokage?' Naruto thought as his heartbeat was getting slower and his body colder.

''No.'' spoke a mysterious voice and Naruto could see a bright light over him. ''Your time has not yet come, child.''

The mighty 9 tailed fox could feel his chakra getting absorbed and his life force with it. ''No. No! What is this? Am I... actually dying!? Curse you 4th Hokage for putting me in this! Curse you!''
______________________________________

Back in the real world, the waters were glowing red and Sasuke looked back to see it originating from where Naruto was. Suddenly, a bright crimsom beam shot out to the sky and left elsewhere. Seconds later, Sasuke heard a roaring sound and he saw the bloodied form of Naruto gave him a hard left hook.