thirteen.

Aya in the MM.

"Our briefings show that we've had an elevated level of fatalities in this hospital. I think it's time someone takes action and it has to be urgent..." Aya watched as the lawyer spoke for his client, looking down at her notepad as she tried to keep her thoughts together.

The weekend was quiet, Shaq leaving early in the morning. She was a mess, trying to figure out why they were so addicted to each other all of a sudden. He completely devoured her every moment he got, the two staying in bed all day. It was as if he got better and better, Aya crying her eyes out by the time he was done with her.

She was now at work, the week being slow as her and her co-workers worked on the cases that plagued the hospital. She was exhausted, never being this out of her game until now. She wanted nothing more than to be in bed, the name she saw on the ID swirling in her mind.

Who the hell are you, Shanelle Pastures?

The meeting ended and Aya stood up, packing her bags so she could take her lunch. She walked to her office and ran her fingers through her flattened hair before pulling out her phone. There were no messages except for Sonia, no DM's or anything.

"Hello?" Aya asked into the phone while walking down the Manhattan streets to Starbucks.

"I have been tryna contact you all weekend. Where the hell have you been?" Sonia exclaimed. Aya sighed, her eyes watering as she thought back to Shaq and the way they were all over each other. They went from the bed, to the kitchen, to the shower..

"I've been catching up on my briefs all weekend. You okay?" She asked as she cleared her throat.

"Yes, girl. I saw Shaq the other day. He lovesssss you."

"Mhm. Morgan told me. He was quiet."

"Yup. Are you okay? You sound off." Sonia asked.

"I'm fine, babe. I'm just exhausted, there's a lot going on in the hospital right now. But, we can meet up soon to chat. I need a girls day."

"Of course! You know you're my number one. I was worried that you'd get upset from me hanging out with the group without you."

"Girl. Why would I be mad? It's not like you're telling them my business right?"

"What do you take me as? And I'm sure Shaq would tell you if I did. He seems like the type that doesn't play like that."

"Yeah..right. Okay, well your new boyfriend is apart of that group so I mean you're going to be included. It's not like Shaq and I are together or something." Aya chuckled awkwardly.

"Mhm..let me find out you're keeping secrets. I love you, text me!"

"Love you. Will do." Aya hung up the phone and sighed while pinching the bridge of her nose. She felt bad for keeping secrets from Sonia but knew that her friend would make a big deal out of nothing. She was still trying to figure Shaq out, and based on what she already knew she wasn't sure how well this would go.

Aya walked back into the office after getting her usual warm toasted vanilla almond drink with extra pumps of espresso when she noticed one of the nurses weren't around.

"Where's Seamus?" Aya asked the head nurse while standing at the nurses station. He was a sweet guy that always talked to her during her break. They talked yesterday about the needle shortage that made the nurses jobs harder while he was smoking a cigarette and she drank her usual coffee. He never missed a day of work and it concerned her.

"That's what we're trying to figure out. He didn't call or anything." Patricia responded with a shrug. Aya nodded slowly before getting into the elevator, tapping her anxious finger against her coffee cup as her thoughts started to race about her dear co-worker who was now missing.

"Are you going to talk today?" The therapist asked as he adjusted his glasses. Shaq just stared down at the ground, feeling more exhausted than usual. He wasn't sure why, his thoughts going back to Aya which made him smile slightly.

"What are you thinking about?" The doctor asked. Shaq shook his head, being so possessive that he even kept his thoughts of her to himself. She was his before she even knew it, and he didn't want to share not even a taste of her with anyone else.

He thought back to the man that was jogging down the bridge late at night. The sound of his choking filling Shaq's ears as he explained that she was his and will always be no matter what before pushing him over the bridge.

"It's only been a year since you've been out of the prisoners psych ward. You have to talk to me or else they'll send you back, Shanelle."

"Don't call me that." Shaq hissed as he glared up at the therapist who just put their hands up in defense. He hated that name and hated the person that gave it to him. It was Shaq and will always be Shaq.

"Let's talk about your foster mom..the one that-"

"The one that what? Put me in prison in the first place for defending her?!" Shaq yelled angrily.

"I see you're still angry about the situation. Why?"

"Because...because I loved her and she just thought I was a monster for killing that man. She was mine..I thought he was hurting her. I didn't know that she was cheating on me." Shaq responded quietly while playing with his hands.

"Shaq..do you really believe that a woman twenty years older than you..was yours? Because she was molesting you at sixteen?"

"She wasn't molesting me. I liked it. I wanted it and she knew that. I loved her and she loved me and no one was supposed to take her away from me like they did my real mom. And no one will take her now." Shaq exclaimed.

"What do you mean now? Have you met someone that reminds you of her?" Shaq stared at the therapist for a moment, before slowly nodding.

"Yes. They talk the same, dress the same, and even eat the same. I loved her the moment I laid eyes on her and I'll be damned if anyone tries to pull us apart. That's my lady. Not anyone else's. I know she won't do me the way Anika did. I can see it."