thirty-three.

Unedited.

"What? Please. My father would have never slept with someone like you. He loves my mom. They've been married for almost fifty years." Aya scoffed as she glared at the woman who just smirked. Shaq shook his head in unbelief, realizing that the woman was willing to lie to try and get out of trouble.

"Your 'father' didn't tell you? October fifteenth, 1992. Kings county hospital. Aya Lashae. I didn't give you my last name because I didn't want to keep you. I was only sixteen. Instead I sent you off to a foster home for adoption."

Aya blinked rapidly, looking up at Shaq who was just as confused. He thought back to her ID, the birthday and year matching up perfectly. Aya's thoughts raced, her heart thudding in her ear as she shook her head. She shook her head again, before grabbing the gun and pointing it at her.

"You're lying. You're nothing but a disgusting lying piece of shit. You're obsessed with Shaq so you've been stalking me. I wasn't adopted. My dad would've told me if I was! You're lying!" Aya screamed, the tears streaming rapidly down her face. Shaq grabbed the small girl who was curled up in a ball under her coat, zipping it up as he tried to console her while Aya just growled.

"Oh, honey..look in the damn mirror! You look just like me when I was your age! I'm sure Shaq noticed as soon as he saw you. I bet that's why he likes you. Because He. Loves. Me! I bet he calls you mama..doesn't he? I bet he gets on his knees for you too, hm? It's because he knows deep down inside of you, there's a piece of me that he'll be able to recognize anywhere." Anika chuckled again.

"Aya is nothing like you! You're a monster!" Shaq yelled as he suddenly lunged himself at her, his hands wrapping around her neck as he started to choke her. Aya was heaving, her chest moving up and down rapidly as she tried to calm down.

"Aya! What is going on?!" Arnold yelled as he ran into the room. Aya had called her father once she found out where Shaq was for help. She didn't want to call the police, but knew that her dad would if anything were to happen.

"Shaq! Let her go! Police!" Arnold yelled as he pulled Shaq off of Anika who gasped for air, choking as she held her bruised neck. Shaq was shaking with rage, punching the wall as he let out a scream of anger. Aya was sobbing into her hands as she tried to gather herself, but it didn't work.

"You all have about five fucking minutes to tell me what's going on before backup gets here. Now!" Arnold yelled, Shaq holding onto Aya who just sobbed into his chest.

"Tell me it isn't true, daddy! Tell me!" Aya wailed as she looked at her father with eyes of desperation. Anika looked at Arnold as she coughed while trying to catch her breath, Arnold looking at Aya in confusion.

"What are you talking about? Who is this woman?" He asked.

"That's the woman that hurt me and put me in jail! She was hurting her!" Shaq yelled as he pointed at the young girl who was still balled up in the corner.

"You have proof? I'll arrest her right now."

"Everything has been recorded. But..she's saying that she's Aya's mother. Was Aya adopted, Mr. Charles?" Shaq asked quietly as Aya sobbed into his chest while clinging to his shirt. Arnold looked at Anika, blinking rapidly at the resemblance as it started to click. He never met Aya's real parents, the young girl being completely abandoned when he first saw her at the orphanage.

"Aya.." Arnold breathed as he stepped toward her. Aya backed away while shaking her head, throwing the gun down at the ground as she glared at her father through teary eyes.

"You lied to me my entire life. My entire life! And I had to find out that this child molester is my mother? This whole time..I thought..maybe it was just recessive genes. Maybe you guys just didn't want to have anymore kids which is why I was so alone! But this?! I can't..I fucking can't.." Aya heaved as she pushed past Shaq who ran after her.

"Aya! Wait!"

"Leave me alone!" Aya screamed as she ran through the trees as she sobbed. It was dark, Aya coughing loudly as she tried to catch her breath. She sobbed as she dropped to her knees, everything she's ever known being a lie. She was never going to be able to see herself the same.

She couldn't even stomach the thought of being related to the woman that hurt her fiancée as a child.

"Aya! Where are you?! Please, baby please.." She heard Shaq sob loudly from afar. Aya cried quietly as she dug her nails into her palms, looking up at the dark sky as she felt herself break into pieces. She felt arms grab her from behind and she screamed while fighting Shaq off who just held her tighter.

"Get off of me! Get off! Let me go.." Aya screamed while sobbing as she leaned back against him. Shaq cried quietly as she let it all out, holding her as tight as he could as she screamed in pain. She felt as if she didn't know who she was anymore. She didn't feel real, slapping herself against the head causing Shaq to grab her wrists as she sobbed in anguish. All the nightmares she had filled her mind as she cried, dropping to the ground as her tears stained the dirt that now her face and clothes.

"It wasn't me in the mirror, it was her.." Aya whimpered as she thought back to the dream with all the blood, the way her eyes glowed and the sinister smile that she saw in the mirror while making love to Shaq before the blood poured over it.

"Oh, God.." Aya gagged as she started to throw up from crying so hard, Shaq holding her hair as she emptied her stomach that was filled with only coffee and anti-psychotics. He rubbed her back as she wiped her mouth with the back of her hand, shaking her head as she pulled away from him.

"No..we can't do this. We can't do this anymore." Aya sobbed as she slowly stood up, stumbling slightly from feeling dizzy. Shaq stared up at her while shaking his head while sitting up on his knees.

"Yes we can, yes we can..please don't do this right now. Please, mama-"

"Don't call me that!" She screamed causing him to jump.

"You say that because I remind you of her, right?! Because I am her! She was right..and I'll never forgive myself for ever pursuing this."

"You're nothing like her! Please, Aya! Please!" Shaq sobbed loudly as he grabbed her hand. She shook her head, trying to pull away but he didn't let go causing her to sob again.

"Shaq, please let me go..please..."

"No! I'm yours. Please please don't do this..I'm yours. The way you love me through it all, I'll love you through this. You're not her daughter, mama. You're not. Please..you are nothing like her. I wouldn't put a gun to your head. I give you flowers and kisses instead. I want you to touch me and kiss me and call me your baby boy because I am..not hers. I'm yours. I always knew the difference. You are nothing like her. Please don't leave me.." Shaq cried quietly as he stared up at Aya who just groaned loudly while running a hand down her face.

"I can't fucking believe this. I need to fucking stab something." Aya whimpered as she paced back and forth with her hands covering her face. Shaq let out a breath before standing up and grabbing her hands, forcing her to look at him.

"How about we just go home and talk about this?"

"Fine."