𝟓

Chatari pov
first day of school, assistant principals office.

"Okay, so that handbook she gave you right there basically explains everything you need to know. I'll be guiding you to your first class and after that i'll assign someone else to do it. do you happen to know anyone here?" The assistant principal, Mrs. Thomas, explained to me.

"Yes, Asia Hankins, but she's a senior " I told her and she went to her desk and started typing on her laptop.

"Alright I'll just have to find someone with a similar schedule- if there is someone. has your parent or guardian paid for a school issued device?"

"I think so. If she didn't I can pay today." I switched the backpack to my other arm cause the one it was on was starting hurt.

my phone dinged in my pocket and I slid my hand into my pocket and switched my phone to silent.

"What did you say your name was?"

"Chatari Miller." I answered as i started to rock back and forth but quickly stopped when i remembered what kind of shoes i had on. I'll be damned.

"ahhh okay. yea it's paid for. so we're gonna go pick that up then i'm going to drop you off to your first class. there should be a person waiting to escort you when the dismissal bell rings for 1st period." She explained standing up straight and smoothing out her form fitting pantsuit.

She looked to be in her mid fifties with her jet black curls hanging down with a few silver streaks. her makeup was on point and the whole room smelled like vanilla, including her.

I nodded and she gave me a warm smile before leading me out her office.

While we walked to the library she gave me a mini tour, showing me the gym, cafeteria, choir hall, lecture hall, and told me what subjects were on which hall.

We walked into the library and went up to the desk where an older white woman and a younger black boy were.

"Hey mrs. sanders. This is one of our new students, can you help me get her a device?"

"Sure. Tablet or laptop, sweetie?" Mrs. Sanders asked reaching under the desk and grabbing some type of form.

"uhh- laptop."

she nodded and went to the back after handing me the paper.

"just sign the bottom and have your parent of guardian sign the other line and turn this back in by the end of the week." Mrs. Thomas said and I signed my name at the bottom before taking my backpack off and putting the paper in a folder.

After a few minutes Mrs. Sanders came out the back with a brown box and gave it to me. I thanked her and while her and Mrs. Thomas were engaged in a conversation I didn't care for so I put one of my airpods in and hid it with my hair.

I took my phone out my pocket and went to the first playlist i saw on spotify. Million- Tink started to play and I slipped my phone back into my pocket, turning up the volume.

I put my backpack all the way on and grabbed the brown box and put the student planner/handbook the gave me on top.

"You ready to go to your first class?" She asked as we finally left the library.