Chapter 1

He remained silent as he gazed upon her. He awaited her to initiate the conversation. If he was taken aback, he didn't show it, though a flicker of emotion passed in his eyes. This girl who had plagued his dreams, who had insulted and rejected him as if he was someone inconsequential, now stood before him, politely bowing and waiting for his response. No, he would not give her that satisfaction, at least of that he was certain.

The silence was suffocating and the distrust and pain filled the air. He continued to stare at her, still bowing. She hadn't changed in the last three years, or maybe... no, there was something different about her now. She always exuded regality, but now, instead of appearing as a spoiled and cheerful youth, she appeared more poised, more feminine. She was beautiful, a tall slender figure in black, with straight chestnut hair now neatly braided, but what was most alluring was the obedience her posture conveyed. He yearned to possess her in that moment, make her look at him, submit to his will, and pay for all that she had done to him. But these sinful thoughts must be suppressed for now. He wanted her to speak.

"Speak," Beta commanded, his towering figure casting a shadow over her bent form, his voice echoing throughout the large, empty room. There was nothing to absorb the sound in the room, which was comprised of only a big table, a couple of chairs, and a filing cabinet.

"Alpha Caelan, I have come to seek your help and support," she started, her confident tone masking any fear she may have had. He might have guessed it before - the obedience of her posture was a mere illusion.

"Why would I help you?" Caelan spoke softly, his voice chill and slow, quiet enough that she might miss his words if the room had poor acoustics. She looked at him as if trying to read his lips, her blue icy eyes studying him. How did he sound? Was he in a good mood? Was he still angry with her? Was she in danger? She couldn't tell. He used those few seconds to examine her beautiful features, her eyes had changed. The youthful innocence was gone, and the power of femininity could be seen in her gaze. He wondered once again how her eyes would have changed if she had a wolf. But then, something unexpected happened. She smiled. She looked at him, the one she had rejected, and smiled as if he was her old friend, as if there was no time that had passed between them. The same damn smile she had given him on that fateful evening.

"If you're worried that I have come to torment you, you're mistaken," she replied. Did she still think she had that power over him? He thought she was trying to goad him, to gain an advantage, and he hated himself for getting irritated. Nothing kills a werewolf faster than losing control to unnecessary emotions.

"I am here at the request of my elder brother, Alpha Dean, and we would like to offer you an alliance. We remember the favor you did for us three years ago, but now we find ourselves on the brink of war again, and we need to prevent it once more, as we did three years ago... together," she added, her tone serious, no longer friendly. Just business.

"So you want me to protect you from the South," he noted. She knew that he knew. He knew about her mission. His Beta must have briefed him already. It was impossible to get an audience with an Alpha without providing at least some information about the purpose of her visit.

"A very good summary, but lacking some nuance," she smiled thinly.

She didn't want to be there. She had told Dean that she should not be the one to go and ask Caelan for help. After what she had done, it would be unwise to make her lead this quasi-diplomatic mission, especially with stakes this high. However, Dean disagreed. He was absolutely sure that the only person who could get Caelan to budge was his younger sister. He knew Caelan still hadn't found his mate, he still lived his ascetic and pragmatic life, and if there was a person who can get him out of his slumber, it was Dean's younger sister.

"And what do you think I missed, Trish?" Caelan said her name as if he was spitting on the ground.

"You know, Caelan" Beta snorted near her. "I meant Alpha Caelan," Caelan could swear there were demons dancing in her eyes. She made this slip totally intentional and it made his wolf howl in his mind. "Every action has consequences as does every inaction. Imagine if you don't help us, if you don't form an alliance, if you allow Josh and Bjorn to destroy our town, kill my brother, take our territory and all the trading routes that go through our pack. How many men would be killed, women taken against their will, kids kidnapped raised as slaves? But I digress, our problems aren't of concern to a mighty Northern Alpha. What should concern you, though, is that we are the only thing standing between your vast, and I should add, awfully cold kingdom and the Southern alliance of two Alphas. Why do you think Josh and Bjorn want our territory? Do you really think you'll be able to continue trading with them and live happily ever after?"

Trish was always fierce. Raised by the Alpha and Luna to be a Luna someday, she was even more than that. He sighed. He wondered how he would have reacted if she had approached him in a more submissive manner, if she didn't challenge him, if he couldn't hear sarcasm in her every word.

"What am I to fear, the daughter of Arne? Do you really think you can come here and mock me?"

She looked straight into his eyes, but for the first time, he saw fear in her eyes. Good. Someone should have taught her this lesson a long time ago.

"Let me tell you another story, Trish. For its enemies The Northern Kingdom is as cold as its terrain's hard. We have the largest army, the strongest warriors, and the greatest will. What could Josh and Bjorn do against that? These pups living in luxury and not knowing what the real battle is. They're just pups living in luxury, not knowing what real battle is. Wasn't I the one who saved their asses three years ago?"

He rose from his table and approached her. She knew it would not end well for her.