Chapter 18

"I'll take care of the prisoner and deal with him according to our Northern customs," Caelan stood in Alpha Dean's office, facing the other Alphas. Most of them were seated, still recovering from their night of paralysis.

"And what about his pack?" Alpha Josh was irritated; he wanted Alpha Erik beheaded immediately, but this Northerner was doing everything his way.

"The pack will be absorbed. Those who choose to remain loyal to Erik will be dealt with... the Northern way," Caelan replied. Alpha Dean stood beside him, feeling the strength of his Northern ally.

"Alpha Erik violated the Peace," Alpha Dean added, "and my pack was the one most affected. I stand with Alpha Caelan here. We don't need more turbulence, nor do we need more conflict."

"This is because your sister refused to spread her legs in front of this fucking bastard," cried out Alpha Josh in contempt. His right arm and part of his face were still paralyzed.

"Watch your tongue," Caelan said menacingly, ready to strike. He was tired and hadn't slept, haunted by visions of Erik and his betrayal of the mentor.

"I agree with Alpha Caelan on this one, Josh. Be respectful, especially when talking about my sister. She is not to blame," Dean interjected. A murmur began to spread among the Alphas.

"I think I owe you an explanation for why Erik made such a move," continued Dean, owning the crowd. Arne stood, proudly looking at his son; he had taught him well. "Perhaps Alpha Caelan could help me supply more details, as some of my information is based on conjecture. But," he silenced the Alphas who tried to object, "here's the story."

After Dean finished talking about how he had refused an alliance against the South, which must have triggered Erik to make a move, chaos ensued. The only person who was relieved to hear that was Trish, standing silently in the corner, listening intently. One of the Alphas cried out:

"And did this Northern bastard know this as well?"

"Why should we think Alpha Caelan didn't plan all of this with Erik all along?"

Dean and Caelan stood silently for a couple of minutes.

"Alpha Caelan and his warriors fought bravely by my side," Dean began. "While all of you were lying paralyzed in your beds, as if willingly."

"But Alpha Dean, it does sound suspicious," Alpha Bjorn, who had been very quiet until then, replied. "The only pack available to you was the Great North pack, wasn't it? While all of us were taken by surprise, Alpha Caelan must have known something to prevent his warriors from being paralyzed. Perhaps it was a double game against Alpha Erik, perhaps it was a coincidence. I'd say it's worth investigating."

"There's nothing to investigate," replied Caelan. "My warriors were celebrating at the nearest guesthouse before the planned morning departure. My Beta tried to escape but was also paralyzed. I managed to escape because I didn't sleep... I had insomnia."

"Maybe," continued Alpha Bjorn, "but maybe not."

"Alpha Caelan was with me," Trish said firmly from her corner. She looked like she had seen a ghost. She must not have slept at all.

"Is that true?" Alpha Bjorn smiled, looking back at Caelan and Dean.

"We were together when we heard the noise," Trish continued. "We managed to escape the room and got separated. Alpha Caelan shifted, while I ran to the west wing for the gun. I can't shift, you know that, but I can still protect myself."

Alpha Bjorn remained silent, and Trish sensed that he was still suspicious. She couldn't understand why she had protected Caelan, but she had acted on impulse. He had saved her life on the battlefield, and she wanted to reciprocate. Besides, she couldn't believe that he was capable of betrayal, not after what he had done for her.