Chapter 14

At such moments, Trish felt exceptionally sad that her wolf remained trapped within her mind, unable to roam free. Trish longed for the freedom of running in the forest in her wolf form, feeling the soft ground beneath her paws and the wind brushing through her fur. When in the human world, Trish chose not to take the vaccine and allowed herself the liberty of shifting. Though the first few days brought unbearable pain of transformation, it was worth it. She was cautious, however, not wanting to risk being seen by humans as a large brown wolf wandering the forest. She couldn't afford to take such risks in her pack, with so many Alphas around, any one of whom could turn out to be her True Mate, and she would have to sacrifice her freedom for him.

As a seer, Trish followed the rituals and worshipped the Moon Goddess, but there was one thing she couldn't understand: why the mate bond was activated at such a young age of 18, when pups were just graduating from high school. Suddenly, one had a mate, and everything was done together. Trish wanted her personal experience, she wanted to grow, and she wanted to be ready to settle down and find her true love. Finding a mate wasn't easy, especially if they were from different packs. Many werewolves chose to take a year off to travel around the packs, searching for their mates, but Trish couldn't understand their motivation. Perhaps after she became a well-known artist, she could do that, but not before. Before that, she wasn't ready for such a pilgrimage.

Trish paced in a small garden near the West wing of the packhouse when she heard hurried footsteps.

"You must be out of your fucking mind!" she heard a voice shout. Trish turned to see Astrid, the last person she wanted to talk to.

"Wow, Astrid, language! You are a lady, after all," Trish said, rolling her eyes mockingly.

"Shut it, Trish. You're an immature child. Who do you think you are to refuse the hand of Alpha Erik? He's the only Alpha with an army that can win us over within a day," Astrid retorted.

"When did you become an expert in politics, Astrid? Anyway, let me tell you. I am the daughter of an Alpha, and I am an individual with my own desires and wishes. This is not what I want," Trish replied firmly.

"What about your duty? You're willing to risk all of us," Astrid said, growing increasingly agitated.

Trish wanted Astrid to stop shouting. She already had an awful headache. She looked at her and, with a sigh, said quietly, "Astrid, can you please stop? Who do you think you are to talk to me like that? My mother? No, you're the stupid wife of a fucking Beta. So, what are you doing here?"

Astrid was so angry she could barely contain herself. At the same time, Trish spoke so softly that Astrid had to strain to hear her.

"I'll give you one chance," Trish continued, "Leave me alone now, and I won't hear from you again, or I'll ask the Moon Goddess to curse your family, regardless of the price she asks of me."

That was another reason for their feud – Astrid was envious of Trish's gift. Why did the Moon Goddess give it to an irresponsible, disrespectful she-wolf when Astrid had always been good, followed traditions, and performed all rituals? These were her thoughts, and she hated Trish for having the gift, especially since Trish used it as a threat to her own kind.

"You're the worst, Trish," Astrid said, giving up and leaving. Everything was happening so fast that it was hard to process. Overwhelmed with emotions, Trish left the garden and headed towards the forest. She couldn't run in wolf form, so she walked as a human. Her first feeling was anger. She was angry at Erik for putting her in such a position in front of everyone. She hated Dean and Arne for not protecting her. She hated Astrid for her insolent talk, and she hated Caelan for sitting there like nothing had happened between them. Perhaps their differences were too strong for him to stand up for her. She felt alone, like a rogue wolf. Perhaps Astrid was right; she was a rogue wolf.