Chapter 8

Caelan led Trish to the dance floor as the slow music played on. He put his hand on her waist and took her other hand in his own, they started dancing. Caelan kept Trish close to his chest. Perhaps a little too close for Trish's liking. She enjoyed every moment of it, but the dance suddenly became too intimate, and she didn't like the sudden shift from light-hearted flirting to something that made her feel uncomfortable. Trish pulled away slightly, as if needing some air, and while still moving to the beat, asked Caelan, "Is it true you don't believe in the Moon Goddess in the North?"

"People in the North are free to believe whatever they want. We just don't act on it," replied Caelan.

"But what about YOU, Alpha Caelan?" Trish also emphasized the word "Alpha" to play on his domineering side.

"To me, there is no such thing as fate, so there can be no gods. I know that it's only me and me alone who is responsible for my future," said Caelan quietly, not looking much at Trish. As if he was more interested in their surroundings than the beautiful girl he'd been dancing with.

"Then how do you explain the mate bond? Isn't it a gift from the gods?" Trish asked.

"There is no magic in this. It rarely happens, that's true, but it serves as a good biological protector for werewolves. It's how we are biologically wired, not because some Moon Goddess wants you to feel joy," Caelan explained.

"Jeez, you make it sound even more gross than my mother," Trish wrinkled her nose, showing her playful disgust. Caelan surprisingly found her honest and childlike behavior endearing. Trish felt that they were drawn to each other. She thought it weird that instead of taking their clothes off somewhere in the room alone, they were talking like good friends.

"Have you found your mate?" Caelan asked, showing interest.

"No, not yet. Not that I am actively trying," Trish chuckled, remembering all her debates with Luna Alexandra. "My mom is not very happy about it, you see? But I have chosen something better to invest my time in – I draw."

"Draw?" Caelan raised his eyebrow, surprised. He thought it to be quite silly – instead of helping her brother lead the pack, Trish was spending her time drawing.

"Does it sound so ridiculous to you?" she smiled.

"The closest thing that we can say we believe in the North is the asceticism of the mind. We choose to do only what is necessary. Managing the pack, defending, fighting, healing, trading – all these activities are necessary. Art? Not so much. The activity only feeds people's egos," Caelan stated.

"You're looking at the daughter of the Alpha, and you believe I won't be egotistical and entitled at least a bit?" Trish joked, making it sound like she was not affected by his comment. It was not the first time Trish had a debate about her love for art, and she knew she had to be patient. She still liked him, just a little bit less. His opinions were too similar to her family's.

"Jokes aside, I draw because I can't live otherwise. In my mother's family, it was believed that there were seers, people who perceive this world differently, sometimes mixing past, present, and future in their visions. My dreams are vivid and intense, and drawing helps me stay sane. It also shows me the beauty of the world. And through my art, I can share these intense emotions with other people. By opening my heart, I open the hearts of others, drawing our experiences, worries, and joys on canvas. I strongly believe that people who think art is useless are just afraid to allow themselves to be vulnerable. It takes a strong character to face one's emotions without being consumed by them," Trish explained.

"Do you believe you are a seer, then?" Caelan asked, ironically.

"I am an artist who believes in many things," she said, smiling invitingly. "The world is a magical place full of gods, spirits, and external forces. We pray and they give, they can heal and they can kill. I can never know when they bestow a gift on me. The only thing we all know for sure is that they will always ask for a price. But I have a trick or two up my sleeve," Trish continued mysteriously.