Chapter 10

"Shaun, where the hell are you?" Alpha Dean mind-linked his Beta, growing increasingly irritated by his absence. He had asked him to report to his office 10 minutes ago.

"Almost there, give me three more," came the reply.

Dean sat at the central table, flanked on his right by his father Arne, with arms crossed over his chest. Lars, Arne's Beta, stood behind him, still performing his duties as ex-Alpha's shadow. He was Shaun's foster father after his real dad died in the Great War. On Dean's left sat his guest, Alpha Erik, with his Beta beside him. Dean would need to have a serious talk with Shaun.

Dean had been surprised when his dad introduced Alpha Erik at the celebration and suggested they talk in private. Erik had something to offer that would "benefit their two packs." It was meant to be a celebration, not a workday, but the Alpha's burden was heavy. With a nod of his head, Alpha Dean led them to the packhouse through the passageway and went to his new office. The only one who hadn't shown up was Shaun.

"Let's get started," Alpha Dean said, turning to Alpha Erik. "I'd like to hear what you have to say, Alpha Erik."

"Shouldn't we wait for your Beta, Alpha Dean?" Erik asked with a sly smile. Dean knew he had to earn his place among the old-school Alphas. He was already irritated that Erik had gone to his father first and insisted on Arne's presence at the meeting. It meant that Erik didn't hold Dean in high regard. He had to prove him wrong.

"It's fine, Shaun will be here when he finishes up one thing for me," lied Dean. It was important not to lose face in the beginning.

"My offer is simple," Alpha Erik began. "We've maintained peace for 15 years, and I want to keep it that way. But I'm concerned about the South. There's no unity among the packs, and they fight frequently. The fights are usually small, with Alphas bickering over who has the biggest dick, but still. They behave like savages, the communities are staggered, and it's not good for trade or people's well-being. The North is strong and doesn't play these silly games, while the East, though smaller, is pragmatic. Most of the smaller packs look up to you. The South, however, needs help. We need to bring prosperity to the region, and only we can do that."

"You want us to form an alliance against the South?" Dean asked incredulously, earning respect from Alpha Erik for being a quick thinker.

"I want us to form an alliance, that's true," Alpha Erik said. "But not against the South. They'll become more and more destabilized with time and will come to us on their own. We'll make the transition peaceful."

"And who's going to destabilize them, may I ask?" Dean replied. "Surely you're not leaving that to fate? If you are, I'd be disappointed in your thinking. And if you're not, that doesn't sound peaceful at all, Alpha Erik." The offer had surprised Dean. He knew that the North was preparing for something, but he hadn't expected this.

"Erik, I agree," added Dean's father, Arne. "Many leaders who sought to bring prosperity brought only war and destruction. We can't justify taking this step."

"This is precisely why we need a coalition," persisted Alpha Erik. "We cannot repeat the mistakes of the past. If we combine the forces of the North and the East, the South will have no choice but to surrender peacefully. They will not have time to act and join their forces."

"Are you talking about the war on the day of the Celebration of Great Peace, Alpha Erik?" Alpha Dean muttered, considering all the options in his head on how to proceed.

"We will be finished before the war can begin. We need to be decisive in these matters, Alpha Dean," Alpha Erik emphasized. "Arne, you may have been an Alpha of the Eastern Old Nott pack, but you have the North in your blood. You should understand how important it is to establish our dominance."

"I understand the importance of maintaining peace, Erik, not waging war on other werewolves."

"Alpha Dean, your father has always been pragmatic, and it has served him well. Your pack has prospered for many years, but it will never be enough. You will soon see the limitations of future growth while the South continues to be in chaos. Just imagine the potential of this alliance," Alpha Erik put all his effort into convincing his son when Arne did not give in. He supposed that the young blood would become more interested in the prospect of glory, but he was wrong.

"Alpha Erik," Dean stood up from his chair, "we appreciate your offer. We value our current alliance with the North and will continue to be your loyal trading partners. However, what you propose is absolutely impossible to accept. We are talking about thousands of lives, and I suggest you return to the festivities and enjoy the peace that is already in place." He pointed to the door, which opened as Shaun entered, panting.

"Alpha Dean, you are making a grave mistake. Inaction is never unpunished."

"Is that a threat, Alpha Erik?" Dean was nervous but knew he needed to stand his ground. "Because if it is, don't do that. Don't anger the Moon Goddess on the day of peace."

Alpha Erik nodded and left the room. Shaun looked at Dean, then at Arne and his father. Lars stared at his son, irritated.

"Sorry for missing the conversation," Shaun said timidly.

"Now you can help us decide how to prevent another war," Alpha Dean replied menacingly.

When Erik entered the office, he was sure of his success. Nothing hurt more than being wrong. This family had disappointed him at every step, showing their lack of ambition and cowardice. He left the room, angry, mumbling, "We'll see how the Moon Goddess will save your lazy asses."

"Erik?" Caelan caught him as he entered the hall. Caelan was eager to hear the news. Erik heard the accusatory tone of his protégé who was clearly annoyed for missing the meeting.

"I didn't want the young Alpha to wet his pants surrounded by too many North werewolves," Erik shrugged, quickly regaining his natural phlegmatic demeanor. "You were also preoccupied with a lady, so I thought it would be inappropriate to interrupt you," he managed a thin smile, while Caelan rolled his eyes.

"So they agreed to an alliance?" Caelan asked, slightly disbelieving. Not that he didn't believe in Erik's power to persuade, but he was jealous. While Erik had secured an alliance with the Eastern Old Nott pack, he had messed around with a girl. It made Caelan feel like a pup.

"Yes, Caelan, there's no need to discuss it now or ever until the Celebration is over," Alpha Erik said, turning his head away and avoiding eye contact with Caelan in an attempt to enjoy the ongoing feast.

Caelan glanced over to another corner and sawTrish engaged in an animated conversation with an old Alpha and Luna from one of the small South packs. She looked up and caught his eye, but quickly blushedand turned away. Was it a genuine blush or simply the heat of the room? Caelan wasn't sure, but he would do anything to find out.