Chapter 13

"I asked Lena if you could borrow some clothes for tomorrow," Zakreus informs me, tugging me excitedly up the stairs in the direction of his room. "Tomorrow I'll show you around and we can get you some clothes of your own."

"When did you ask Lena for clothes?" I question, scrunching my eyebrows as I think back over the last twenty minutes. Zakreus never left my side and I didn't hear him ask his sister for anything.

My brain suddenly remembers multiple times today that Zakreus or the other wolves seemed to know information that they couldn't possibly have had the opportunity to learn. What is going on?

Zakreus freezes for a moment and turns to look at me with slightly wide eyes.

"I haven't told you about the pack link yet, have I?" he asks.

"Pack link?" I ask. "Is that like a mate bond but with the rest of the pack?"

Zakreus smiles at my guess but shakes his head. "Not really," he answers. "It's just a way wolves communicate with each other telepathically."

"So, when you were looking at Lars weirdly earlier and you magically knew exactly what was going on?" I question. "You were just talking to him through your mind?" He nods his head, tugging my hand and continuing up the stairs. Once at the top, he turns left to walk down the hallway. "And that's how everyone knew about our...interaction?"

"Yeah, I'm sure Lars told them about it through the link," Zakreus confirms.

"And any wolf in your pack can talk to you with their mind?" I ask. He nods again and I shudder. "That seems overwhelming. Can you turn it off?"

"Oh yeah, if I want to I can block people from getting to me," he tells me. "It's hard to explain, but the more you practice and experience it, the easier it is to control." I nod my head even though it doesn't really make sense.

We approach a large wooden door and Zakreus does not hesitate to push it open and usher me inside.

When I step in, I nearly gasp in shock at the size of the room. No, this isn't a room, this is a tiny house. To the right of the door is a couple couches for lounging and further back is a full kitchen set-up with a dining table off to the side. An open door off the dining area reveals the bedroom and I boldly assume the closed door next to it leads to a bathroom. The furniture in the huge space is mostly black and white with the only color being Zakreus's miscellaneous belongings and the blue and green striped quilt I can see atop the bed.

I don't have much time to take in the room before Zakreus starts pointing everything out to me. He confirms that the door next to his bedroom leads to a bathroom and lets me know that I am welcome to any food he has in the kitchen.

"There's a huge kitchen and pantry downstairs for common use, also," he informs me. "If there's anything I don't have here that you want, just let me know."

I smile and nod my head, mindlessly following him as he turns in the direction of the bedroom. There is a door leading directly to the bathroom which I find very convenient. I also notice a couple of dressers and two more doors that I assume are closets.

"I'll clear my clothes out of this one," Zakreus says, gesturing to the door closest to us, "so you can put your stuff in there." I smile brightly again at how deeply he has obviously thought about this. It just makes me feel all the more guilty when I think about how I wanted to make him wait.

"Thank you," I whisper, glancing around the room. Once again I can only think about how different it is from my room back home. That room is filled with different colors with no rhyme or reason as to where they go. I had random blankets and curtains hung all over the walls and every pillow on my bed was a different color and pattern. But it was perfect because it was mine.