Chapter 16

Be careful what you wish for, I think to myself as I enter the pack hall.

As I wander around the pack hall in boredom with the promise of an entire day to myself, my brain reminds me that not too long ago, this is what I was praying for. I wanted space and time to myself to do what I wanted, when I wanted, where I wanted.

Now, roaming this massive construction all by myself, I wish for nothing more than someone to accompany me.

I would go find Amethyst, but Zakreus said she is spending the day with Damascus jumping into her Luna duties. I'm not sure how I feel about my sister integrating into this life so well. I wonder if Zakreus is annoyed that I am not as enthusiastic to adopt my responsibilities in this new place.

Because I don't know anyone else well enough yet, my brain carries me to the second floor that is designated for guests. It's the area that Zakreus spent the least time showing me yesterday. I think because he didn't want me to get any ideas about taking one of the rooms for myself.

Not that I really could, at this point. Last night has proven that sleeping without my soulmate by my side now feels wrong, even if I'm upset with him.

A couple of the doors are open down the hall from me and I hear women's voices chattering loudly from one on the end, probably not realizing I am here yet. A familiar voice catches my attention.

"All I'm saying is I don't think the fairies will be sticking around for long," Jasmine snickers.

"You're only bitter because you were hoping Zakreus would turn out to be your mate," another woman replies, but she doesn't seem to be disagreeing.

"That may be so, but the fact of the matter is they are weak, Layla," Jasmine retorts. "Even the bigger one is tiny compared to us, and she's supposed to be our Luna."

My fists clench at my sides when I hear her specifically mention Amethyst.

"But you said they have magic of some kind?" a third woman asks curiously. "How powerful?"

"I don't know and I don't care," Jasmine snaps. "Zakreus and Damascus will realize soon that there must have been some mistake. Then, they'll send the pesky things back to wherever they came from."

My blood boils at the audacity of this woman. Honestly, who does she think she is?

The woman called Layla scoffs and says, "I don't think they will just reject their mate bonds that easily."

"Have you seen them?" Jasmine asks. I hear both women say they have not. "Once you do, you'll understand. They aren't fit to be mated to future leaders - any old wolf, maybe, but not an Alpha or Beta."

"And what? You think once they ditch their mates they'll just be looking for a replacement?" the third woman questions, almost disbelieving. Good. I'm glad one of them hears the insanity.

My blood boils as Jasmine confirms, "That's exactly what I'm thinking. And Zakreus would be a fool to overlook me."

I can't take it anymore. Does she not realize that Amethyst has already been marked? My sister isn't going anywhere and neither am I. Before my brain has even made the decision, my feet carry me down the hall and towards the door that the voices are coming from.

"Ssh, someone's coming!" the nameless woman hisses in fear. "Wait, is that...?"

"Fucking fairy," I hear Jasmine mutter under her breath as I enter the room. "What do you want?"

I try to mask my disbelief with confidence because I really have no idea what I intended to say or do once I got here. A quick glance around the room quickly proves that there are no plants for me to use to my advantage were the situation to call for it. And Jasmine is right - I am tiny compared to the women in front of me. Hardly intimidating.