Chapter 2: Diagon Alley

The bustling street was suffocatingly loud as I tried to see the shops. I took out the parchment that held all of my school supplies. The first thing I wanted to buy is my books. 

Then it dawned on me. I don't have any money. Splitting pain erupted again as the cuts spelled out: Gringotts. I peeked over the sea of wizards and witches to find a large, twisted white building that had the name: Gringotts Bank

I maneuvered around people as I tried to get to the unstable, architectural catastrophe. After ten minutes of tripping, stumbling, and pushing, I managed to get into the bank.

The interior was nothing like the exterior. I mean, it still had a neoclassical theme but it was much more organized. It felt powerful and protected whereas the outside looked like it was about to crumble.

As I made my way down the hall, I snuck a few glances at the creatures around me. They were exceptionally ugly, all with fancy and expensive suits. My hand throbbed as more writing appeared. It read: Goblins

This mystery writer knew not only who I was and where to find me, but also my thoughts? Talk about a stalker. I approached a goblin who was sitting at a higher desk. He was engrossed in the parchment he was writing on because he didn't hear me the first few times I cleared my throat.

On the third time, he finally put down the quill he was writing and peered down at me. I felt the invisible knife dig into my wrist. I looked down to find a new message. It read: Say, "Y/N Riddle would like to make withdrawal!"

"Y/N Riddle would like to make a withdrawal," I said firmly. The goblin gave a toothy grin. I'll be the one to say his teeth are not in top condition.

"And does Mr. Riddle have his key?" the goblin asked. I must have paled because the goblin smiled wider. I felt a new message on my arm. It said: Pocket.

At that exact moment, I felt something drop into my pocket. I hastily took it out and showed it to the goblin. The goblin sneered and called for someone. A short, plump goblin walked out from behind the desk and snatched my arm before pulling me towards the back of the hall. We walked down a large staircase that led to an underground platform. 

There was dangerous stalagmites towering from the ceiling when the goblin whistled. I heard a mechanical sound as a mine cart throttled in from a corner of the platform. "After you," the goblin said in a strangely high pitched voice. I climbed into the dusty vehicle trying to find a comfortable position in the cold metal seat.

As soon as the goblin got in, the mine cart took off. It was crazy how fast the little machine could go for its size. I got vertigo as the mine cart went straight down and I'll be the one to say that it was absolutely exhilarating. I was almost upset when it all stopped. The goblin climbed out of the cart and approached a vault.

"Vault 104," the goblin said in an annoying voice. "Lamp please." I rolled my eyes and took the lamp from the cart and gave it to the goblin. It walked four meters before requesting another item.

"Key please," it said. I dug the gold hunk of metal out of my pocket and thrust it into the goblin's hand. It took the key without saying anything and opened the vault. My eyes nearly popped out of their sockets as I looked at the overflowing plethora of gold, silver, and bronze coins.

I sensed the gold ones were better so I took two hand's worth of coins and put them in my jacket pocket. I also took a few bronze and silver ones for good measure.

***

It was good to feel sunlight on my skin after the dark caves in Gringotts. I carried on buying everything from the list on the parchment. I went into a store called Flourish & Blotts and picked out all the books from my list. I was so eager to read them I could have sat down on the floor and opened the pages.

I continued to buy all the items from my list until I only had two things left. A wand and a pet. The mystery writer told me to go to a place called Ollivanders. My dark black and green cloak from Madam Malkin's swished behind me as I searched through the alley for ten minutes before I found the shop. It didn't look that appealing—it was dark and dusty—but I sucked it up and entered the shop.

"Hello?" I called. I heard the turning of wheels and a very old man—nearly rivaling Dumbledore's age—appeared around the corner. He paled considerably when he saw me.

"M-mr. R-riddle," the old man squeaked. "D-didn't E-e-expect y-you so s-soon." I rolled my eyes at his stuttering.

"I need a wand," I said bluntly. The old man nodded his head vigorously and picked out a long, slender box. He seemed to have gained a more calm composure.

"P-perhaps this?" he said as he gave me the wand. I barely waved the wand before the old man snatched it back. He went back to his columns of boxes and picked out two more boxes. It was the same experience as the first wand he gave me.

Ten minutes later, I still hadn't gotten a wand and nearly all the wands in the rows had been cleared. The once happy smile of the old man had turned into an anxious expression as he desperately tried to find a wand. The floor was littered with boxes and wands as he threw himself to the floor.

"There's no wand in here that fits you!" he moaned. I suddenly felt a strange, euphoric feeling encase my body. I looked around to find the source. I turned and saw a maroon case on the top of the desk. It was on display. I felt like I was drawn to the case.

"What's that?" I asked pointing to the wand case. The old man stopped groaning when he noticed me pointing at a wand.

He paled again as he got up and steadily walked up to the case. "It wouldn't hurt to try," the old man said. I'm not sure if he said towards me or himself. He meticulously opened the case and pulled out a slender black wand. I couldn't wait.

As soon as the man pulled out the wand, I lunged for it. The euphoric sensation was magnificent. "This is it," I breathed. "This is my wand." I looked over at the man. He was biting his nails nervously.

"Would you happen to know what this wand is made of?" I asked curiously. The man nodded and took the wand, running his fingers over the grooves.

"Eleven inches," he said, "it's made of yew wood," the old man said, closing his eyes. "Dementor's cloak thread as the core. Very powerful." He handed the wand over to me. I nodded while slipping the wand into my cloak. 

I exited the shop and returned to the alley. At this point, I couldn't be bothered to get a pet so I just wondered the streets until I came across an inn called The Leakey Cauldron.

I entered the place and immediately went to the reception desk. "A room for one, please," I told the witch at the front desk. She nodded and took me up to an empty room. I gave her a few galleons and she dropped a key in my hand. I entered the room and immediately jumped onto the bed.

What an adventure.