Chapter 5: The Third Floor Corridor

It was a little difficult to digest the next few weeks. It was hard seeing what people now called 'The Golden Quartet' consisting of Hermione, Aurora, Ron, and the one and only; Harry Potter. While Aurora grew closer with the trio, I grew closer with my house.

I was normally followed by Draco Malfoy and Blaise Zabini. We were what people called, 'The Slytherin Trio'.

I was closer with Blaise as, whenever Malfoy got the chance, Draco would torment anyone and everyone. At first, I was antagonized because Malfoy and I were friends but over time people realized that I was completely different.

For starters, anytime we'd walk down the hall, I'd always be reading a book while Draco would torment first years and Blaise attempted to talk to girls. I take credit for both of their class averages to be over most people's.

While they were around tenth or twelfth in classes, I was always first. The only person near me was the second place Gryffindor, Hermione Granger. Sometimes she'd even seek help from me during study hall periods or when they were at the library. 

Today was no different. The three of us were strolling down the halls, making our way towards the charms classroom when I heard someone call out my name.

"Y/N! I've been looking all over for you!" I instantly recognized the name as Aurora Prott, my former best friend. I pretended not to hear her and I kept my eyes locked on the pages of the fifth-year charms book I was reading.

"Y/N Riddle!" Aurora called out again, snatching the book out of my hands yet again. It's become her favorite move at this point. She stared back at me with an icy blue stare. I clearly wasn't the only person thinking she looked good because I literally heard Draco and Blaise gulp.

"Aurora," I said coldly. She was flanked by Harry and Hermione. I half expected to hear Draco say some witty remark but when I glanced over at him, his gaze was fixed on Aurora. I rolled my eyes. "What do you want?"

"Woah, easy with the Slytherin hostility," she said, throwing her arms over my shoulders in a one sided embrace. I tried to get out of the bone-crushing hug but Aurora wouldn't let go.

"I see you've got new friends," she whispered in my ear.

"I was about to say the same thing," I replied.

Aurora pulled away and clasped my hand so hard she was cutting off circulation. "What the hell are you doing?" I whispered.

"Embarrassing the almighty Y/N Riddle," she replied smirking. I rolled my eyes at the use of the word 'almighty'. "And making Hermione jealous. She has been more bossy than ever so I'm going to humble her."

She leaned up and kissed my cheek earning a very envious look from Hermione and every other first-year girl in the hallway along with a confused look form Draco and Blaise.

"Let's go for a walk, shall we?" Aurora asked.

I turned back to Draco and Blaise. "I'll see you guys in charms," I said. I turned back to Aurora and we proceeded to walk hand in hand with Hermione and Harry on our left.

We got to a deserted corridor when Aurora finally let go of my hand. The three of them stood side by side as if I was being interrogated.

"First things first—"

"Do you know who Nicolas Flamel is?" Hermione said, cutting Aurora off. Knowing that I'd just finished a book all about him, I smirked.

"Nicolas Flamel was an alchemist known for making an object called the Sorcerer's Stone," I said. "The stone could turn metal into pure gold while also producing the elixir of life. The drinker will become immortal."

Realization seemed to set in Harry and Hermione's eyes as they bolted out. Aurora kissed me on the cheek again before disappearing with the rest of them. My smirk turned into a scowl. That's all I am to them. I simple fact machine.

I walked back to the charms classroom and took a seat between Draco and Blaise. Professor Flitwick was making us levitate more heavy objects.

"I'm going to set up a few challenges for you," the old professor said. "Whoever can lift the armor-stand behind me will earn thirty points to their house."

I pointed my wand at the armor-stand lazily as I uttered the incantation, "Wingardium Leviosa!" After I said that the armor-stand levitated well above the mound of books that Professor Flitwick was on.

Flitwick turned to me in awe. "Thirty points to Slytherin! You're the second first year student that's ever been able to lift the stand!"

I looked at him curiously. "Who is the other student?" I asked. Flitwick's face paled as he the words he said were so soft it was barely heard.

"Y-your f-father," Flitwick said. He glanced at me nervously, obviously expecting me to further inquire or be angry. But I surprised him by staying icily calm. Draco patted me on the shoulder as I stiffened.

The rest of the classes proceeded as usual until Blaise, Draco, and I were walking back to the common room after having dinner in the Great Hall. I felt an all too familiar sense of pain coming from my hand.

"I have to go to the restroom," I told them quickly, covering my hand. I didn't give them a chance to reply as I ran around the corridor corner and took a peek at the message. It read: I want to show you something

My arm throbbed as I felt the invisible knife carve into my wrist. I rolled up my sleeve to find another message: Go to the girls bathroom on the second floor

I was in too much pain to question the strange order as I ascended a staircase. Unfortunately for me, staircases like to move. The staircase that once lead to the second floor now lead to the third floor corridor. Curiosity got the better of me as I arrived on the deserted hallway.

There was a major build up of dust and grime on the floor and cobwebs infested every crack and crevice. I wanted to explore more but I suddenly heard voices. I looked around for an exit and my eyes locked on a large wooden door. I sprinted over to the door only to find that it was locked. I ripped my wand out from my robes.

"Alohomora!" I commanded. I heard a satisfying clicking noise as the door unlocked and I proceeded through.

I closed the door behind me. "Colloportus!" I said, the charm locking the door behind me. I looked into the room to find a large three headed dog staring back at me. I swallowed my fear as I pressed myself against the wall.

I heard footsteps and a boy's voice. I cast a disillusionment charm on myself as four figures burst into the room. I immediately recognized them as The Golden Quartet.

Why are they here? I asked myself. Unfortunately for them, the cerberus had woken up. As the four screamed in terror, I casted a Muffliato charm on the door middive so that they wouldn't hear it creak. They didn't hear a thing as I sprinted out of the corridor.

I was descending the staircase when I felt more pain from my hand. I'm still here, the message read. I rolled my eyes. Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to visit, I mean, what could be worse than a cerberus?

I made my way to second floor girls bathroom thinking what it could be. I burst threw the door and glanced around the room. I suddenly realized how weird this could be. A random boy just bursting into a girls bathroom? Holy. I was lucky there was nobody in here.

Go by the sink with the serpent, a new message read, shimmering with my blood. I walked towards the sinks and inspected each one carefully before finding one with a serpent on the side of the faucet.

Open the chamber in serpents tongue, a new message read. My hand was pretty much gushing blood at this point.

"Open," I said in Parseltongue. The sinks immediately started to shift around each other creating a hole. I knew that if I was dropping to my death, I could just slow myself down with magic. With that in mind, I jumped into the hole.