Chapter 2: Horcruxes and Howlers

I sat in my dormitory staring at the ceiling in the Slytherin common room. It was nearly impossible to fall asleep when I was a Legilimens in training as I didn't know how to control my ability.

Even though I barely scratched the surface of Snape's mind, I heard from Dumbledore that Snape was a very good Occlumens and that seeing one of his memories was no easy feat. This made me feel slightly better. Although the bruises and cuts made me feel like a broken pine cone. 

Random thoughts and dreams filled my head as I lay awake. I knew what roommates were dreaming. 

I saw Draco Malfoy impressing Pansy Parkinson by catching the golden snitch on his Nimbus 2001. I saw Blaise Zabini beating me in a charms exam and everyone erupting into cheers. As I said before. What a weirdo. Lastly, Crabbe and Goyle had similar dreams, both including being able to read.

I always hated sharing a dormitory. While most people found it great that you had people to talk to and have fun with, I saw comfort and closure in solitude. The only company I needed in life was my thoughts.

I ended up having a sleepless night. I stared at one tiny dirt speck on the ceiling and tapped my fingers against my pillow. I watched the gray ceiling turn to a lighter shade of gray through the placebo effect while I was convinced that the brown spot on the ceiling was a beetle.

I glanced at my watch to find that it was five in the morning. Good enough, I thought as I got out of bed. "Accio," I said, pointing at my nightstand to where a seventh year book was open.

I rubbed my eyes even though there was no grog in them as I exited the dormitory and entered the common room. I hopped onto the cold couch and opened the book to the chapter I was on. It was a rare bit of magic that I've never seen before. The chapter read, Horcruxes: What They Are and How To Make Them.

A very interesting bit of magic, Horcruxes. They had the power to grant immortality while also single-handedly causing the most death. Ironic, isn't it.

I suddenly felt a familiar scraping sensation against my wrist. Anger boiled in my veins as I looked to see the message. Reading about Horcruxes, are you? 

What about them? I replied in my head. I could almost feel Voldemort's chuckle.

  Are you interested in them? A new message read.

What is it to you? I thought back. I was in fact, interested in the sort of magic. I could easily make one as I killed one kid back at the orphanage. The more I thought about it, the more I thought it would be a good idea. I mean, it would be a pity to let a kill go to waste won't it? And the author says nothing about the side effects so...

I can give you an object, the newest message read. It was almost as if Voldemort could read my mind. Who am I kidding, I know he can read my mind!

It belonged to your mother. Blood was pretty much gushing out of my arm at this point but all the pain was washed away at the mention of my mother.

If you lose this, I'll kill you, the message read. Then why the hell are you trusting me with it? I thought. But I didn't complain when I felt a weight appear in my pocket similar to how the Sorcerer's Stone presented itself to me last year.

I dug the object out of my pocket as I caught sight of a silvery accessory. It was a ring. But not any ring, it seemed to be almost like a crest. When I inspected the ring carefully, I saw that there were inscriptions on it. Sprawled out across the middle were the words, Pura est Potentia.

"Pure is power," I whispered, instantly knowing the Latin words. I scrunched my nose in disgust at the statement. It was a very pureblood thing to say.