Chapter 4: Fracturus

I usually dislike rainy days. They screw up my hair. On this particularly rainy day, however, I was on a particularly large tree in the Forbidden Forest. Even though the forest was prohibited, I was out there because of the electrical storm.

"Amato, Animo, Animato, Animagus," I chanted, putting my wand to my chest. I took the vial out of my pocket that stored a precious potion. There was a faint smell of ozone in the air as I downed the uneasy potion.

I dropped the vial as I hunched over, gagging at the horrible taste. Splitting pain erupted throughout my body as I remembered what my book said: The first transformation is always the most painful.

The image of a bird flashed in my mind as my body shrunk in size. My clothes and skin turned into jet black feathers as I felt my legs thin to a twig's width. I felt all my toes retract into my feet as talons took their place. But the most painful of all, was the wings. Goddamn, they hurt.

My arms thinned and elongated as feathers grew on my epidermis. I tried to grit my teeth in pain to find that I had a beak. And then, as if a switch was turned off, my pain went away. I looked at my reflection via a raindrop to see a jet black bird staring back at me.

I was a raven. And holy Hogwarts, I looked nice. My sleek black feathers were long and seemingly sparkled. The only thing that'd indicate that this was me was the fact that instead of the normal beady black eyes crows normally had, my vibrant green irises remained.

I squawked and flapped my great wings as I flew out off of the tree and towards the Hogwarts grounds. I have to say, flying is way better than walking. I twisted and turned as I soared over the great eves of the castle.

After thirty minutes, I was utterly exhausted. I dive-bombed the courtyard in a spiral as I tried to transform back into a human. I ended up smacking head-first into the courtyard grass. I squawked in pain as I tried to concentrate on the image of myself but it was a little difficult because of the growing headache.

After two minutes, I got my arms back. And I'll be the one to say, a raven with no wings and arms for replacement is one of the most cursed things you'll ever see. And I live in a magical world.

After five minutes, I had my legs back. Don't even get me started on how strange I looked. After three minutes, I had my midsection back. Okay, now I just looked like an Egyptian god as I had my regular robed body with the head of a raven. Oh lord, I can already picture the name. Y/N-us god of stupidity.

After ten minutes of trying to picture my face in all its glory, I managed to succeed. I groaned and clutched the bridge of my nose with my index finger and thumb as my migraine grew. I ran a hand through my raven black hair—I'm so funny—only to find my hand streaked with blood.

I winced as I stumbled inside of the castle grounds only to find a familiar tabby cat looking at me. I groaned again as I looked at the cat. "Good evening, Professor," I said to McGonagall. The tabby cat transformed into a stern but impressed looking woman.

"Mr. Riddle, I'm afraid we'll have to work on transforming back into a human," she said as she turned her back to me. "I can help you practice. Oh, and it would be prudent to go to Madam Pomfrey. Good day."

I watched as her figure disappeared behind a corridor. I rubbed my forehead as I made my way to the infirmary.

I opened the hospital doors gingerly to not wake any sleeping patients up. Within mere seconds of my presence, I saw a woman rush towards me. "Oh dear," Madam Pomfrey said as she inspected my head. "You better take a seat, Mr. Riddle."

I nodded, causing pain to erupt through my head, as I sat down on one of the infirmary beds. I saw Madam Pomfrey unravel a white bandage while cleaning up my blood with the flick of a wand. She gave me a medication that made my head numb as she moved my hair up and wrapped the cloth around my head.