Driver's License

Originally Posted: 07/20/2022

At this point, he's not sure why it surprises him.

At this point, he should know that waking up alone and walking out into an eerily quiet common room is a tell tale sign of some antic - both your's and Sam's.

He should know better.

And he still doesn't. Still he languidly wanders through the Compound halls like there isn't a high probability of havoc being wreaked.

"You could just tell him?" Bucky hears Sam mutter from the garage, where he hears the two of you rummaging around after he'd spent the first half hour of his morning figuring out why he'd woken up alone in a cold bed and where you'd run off to.

"You're the one that told me not to!" you exasperatedly exclaim.

This peaks Bucky's interest. It peaks his interest enough to disrupt his peaceful, quiet morning by poking his head into the garage.

And sure enough, you and Sam are there, walking towards the key hanger filled with all the keys of the motor vehicles of the Compound.

Sam plucks his car key off the hook, turning back to you, "Because he-"

"Because he, what?" Bucky wryly interjects, his arms folded as he leans against the garage doorframe.

"Bucky!" Sam guilty exclaims, immediately throwing his hands behind his back.

"James!" you greet with an equally incriminating expression.

He stands up off the doorframe, taking a few steps into the garage. His eyes narrow in suspicion. Not real suspicion, he knows you and Sam wouldn't really hide anything important from him, but there's still a boatload of trouble that you two could get up to.

And his trouble radar is beeping off the charts.

"Uh, we're just..." Sam begins, nudging you to continue for him.

"Yeah, we were just...." you start, only to falter when you have no real excuse prepared.

"Okay, no, see, you hesitated. Now our excuse looks like a lie," Sam guffaws, hands still tucked behind his back.

"Well, it is a lie!" you retort, as though Bucky can't hear every word you and Sam are saying. "Unless you were going to tell him the truth?"

"Still right here," Bucky announces, waving his hand at the two of you. "Can hear every word you just said."

"See what you did," Sam hisses at you, once again like Bucky can't hear your hushed conversation. "Now he knows we're up to something."

You clear your throat, turning back to Bucky who waits with a smug look and his arms still impatiently crossed. And with your best innocent expression, you explain, "Uh, well, Sam's teaching me how to drive!"

"Why didn't you ask me?" Bucky defensively questions. "I would've taught you."

"Er...Sam?" you quickly prompt, looking away from Bucky.

"Don't put that on me! He's your boyfriend!" Sam deflects.

"You are no help," you pointedly whisper to Sam. Then, you turn back to Bucky who still waits with his arms impatiently crossed. "Well, not to throw anyone under the bus, but... Sam said you weren't a good driver."

"What!? I'm a great driver," he adamantly defends.

You take a few steps toward Bucky, placing a gentle hand on his shoulder with a reassuring, warm smile, "And I believe that!"