The Clearance Conundrum

Originally Posted: 08/18/2022

You all breathe all small sigh of relief when, at long last, Tony's eyes pull away from the small hologram at the center of the table, finally finished with his extensive technological rant explaining his newest innovation.

Half the conference room is propping themselves up with one hand tucked underneath their chin, others slumping so far back in their seats that they risk tipping the chair over, but you all are fighting against drooping eyelids that seem to get heavier which each passing moment of Tony's science talk.

"So fancy doors?" Bucky grumbles, tracing small lines in the palm of your hand as you your head rest against his shoulder.

"Fancy doors?" Tony scoffs. "No, these are virtually indestructible. Doors not even Pinkie or Wanda could take down."

You quickly sit up, opening your mouth to take Tony up on his challenge, but Tony cuts you off, "And no, that's not a challenge."

Your shoulders dejectedly slump. You cross your arms, leaning further into your seat, "Aww..."

"But that's not all," Tony excitedly adds, a mischievous grin on his face. "You know what today is?"

"Thursday?" Sam sighs.

"You guys are awful, you know that?" Tony sarcastically retorts. "In spite of the lack of appreciation for innovation, today is the start of the new quarter. And that means...?"

"Report cards?" Sam jokes.

"No, smart-ass, it means new security clearances." Half-hearted murmurs of approval fill the room. Tony rolls his eyes, taking a moment to glare at everyone before reminding the room, "Higher clearance means first pick on all the shiny new toys!"

"Ohh," the room collectively awes, everyone sitting finally up in their seats.

"See? That's all I wanted," Tony huffs, relishing in the room's newfound anticipation.

He starts a slow stroll around the room, making sure that everyone's eyes are on him. He stops in front of Nat's seat first, "Natasha, clearance A."

Her arms crossed across her chest, head held high, she confidently nods, "Like always."

"Wanda, B."

"Samuel, B."

"Alright, Steve, Bucky, clearance F."

"F?" Bucky repeats, his jaw slightly dropping. He whirls around to look at Tony with wide-eyes. "I used to be a B."

"You're still a B," Sam teases, leaning out of his seat next to you to make fun of Bucky.

"You want to join them?" Tony prompts, an eyebrow raised at Sam.

Sam quickly shakes his head, sitting back in his seat. "No, thank you."

"Pinkie," Tony smiles. "Moving up in this world, clearance B."

"Yes!" you exclaim, slightly raising your fist in triumph.

"What?" Bucky scoffs a little too loudly.

"What does that mean?" you guffaw, a little offended by the amount of shock in Bucky's voice.

"Uh-oh, Bucky's in trouble," Sam interjects with the sole purpose of egging you on.

"No! No!" Bucky quickly objects, kicking Sam in the shin underneath the table. "That's not what I meant! I think that's great, but why the hell did all my clearance get taken away?"

"Guilty by association," Tony quips.

"Because of him?" Bucky squawks, pointing at Steve. "I'll drop him, no problem."