going away to college (but not rlly)

Walking into the towering main building, I felt excited but slightly nervous since i had lost all my friends except one, Adam, over the summer.
I was fortunate enough he was by my side throughout secondary and all the petty drama that came with it.
Even then, he and I had our share of shaky moments; for example, we hardlyspoke over the summer holidays over something I didn't believe was that deep, and apparently neither did he, but it was clear he did.
As a result, I had no idea if he was even going to the same college as me, let alone if he would even talk to me.

I sat down expecting to see someone I knew or at least someone who seemed
approachable, but as people flooded the room, ahd mumbling and bickering became apparent, it became clear that none of them had changed over the summer; they still stuck to their cliques and were most likely not going to do anything to change that.

I sank into the chair, attempting to blend in with the sea of people.
As soon as I spotted Adam, I was
relieved. He scanned the room came over to me as soon as our eyes locked.
He came shouting "Hello y/n/n. I haven't spoken to you since school! How have things been??" He pulled me into a strong hug slightly picking me up off the floor. I hugged back but I was too caught up on the fact he didn't acknowledge the reason he had completely ignored me for the lat 6 weeks or so....
nevertheless, I responded with the same enthusiasm "same back at you!!, nothing interesting has happened honestly.... just been focusing on my interests".

~~~~~Time skip~~~~~

We had ended up in a completely different building as we had carried on chitchatting until he told me about his summer (fianlly), "sorry I wasn't contacting you, I was just so caught up hanging out with this boy who just moved into my street, hes American but my parents insisted I got to know him and honestly I'm not mad they did anymore".
Eager to meet new people I questioned "so when do I get to meet this new boy" I asked as we slid our backs down the wall to sit down quietly.
Before I could rest my legs "ADAMM" bellowed down the hallway.

I whipped my head around to voice to see a tall boy with a brown thick swooped fringe, as my eyes traced down I saw he was wearing a baggy pink tiedye shirt that was so baggy the short sleeves surrounded his elbows, black skinny jeans that slightly bunched up at the ankle and vans which had "blacklight" written in sharpie on the 'white' areas, and his wrists were wrapped with string friendship bracelets.
I'm guessing he made himself, He was fiddling with them whilst walking towards us. He looked messy but it looked intentional.

...they don't make boys like that anymore...

Adam broke my analysis with "well you can meet him now" nudging me before he got up to greet the boy.
Quickly joining them I stood up and picked up my bag loosely on one shoulder. They were already in a conversation but, I politely announced holding my hand out to shake "hi, I'm
y/n, nice to me you...(?)"  pausing to allow him to introduce himself "awsten, my name is awsten" he blurted out whilst rubbing the back of his neck.

His eyes darted around my face until he looked down at my hand, I realised how unnatural it seemed, he quickly looked back up at me and said in a mocking posh English accent "well I do say, this is very formal" shaking my hand and bowing.

His eyes lingered on mine for what felt longer than they should have. To break the silence, and eye contact, i swooned as a joke putting the back of my hand on my forehead whilst the other one fanned my face (but honestly I did kinda feel that way inside) which made awsten and I laugh.

Adam didn't find it half as amusing though which was evident by him standing between us with a clenched  jaw abruptly stating "Awsten I need to find a toilet, y/n can wait here" pulling him away by the writs.

---724 words---

Messy chapter but like introducing characters xxx others will hopefully seem more structured