2

• AMALIA •

The next day, I roll out of bed tiredly. It's my first day of sixth form, and I'm meeting up with Edie, Gracie, Mia, Ezra and Oliver before we go to school for breakfast. We have to go in at one o'clock today, and it's nine, so we have plenty of time.

Still, I want to be early to school. It's much more preferable than being late.

     I take the roller out the front of my hair, letting out a sigh of relief when I see that my bangs are perfectly bounced. I smooth them back from my face and go over my brown hair with the straightener quickly before getting changed into my new uniform. My school lets you wear whatever you want in this stage of school, but it has to be black and white, and we still have to be sensible.

     I chose a black, knitted jumper and a skirt. I have a lot more options so I can change it up a lot, but this makes me look presentable. I want to make a good first impression on all the people I'll probably meet today.

     The thought of socialising with people I'm not already familiar with makes my cheeks heat with anxiety.

     Once I'm dressed, I grab my white bag and put my coat on. I'm about to leave my room when my phone dings with a text. I open it.

OLLIE: I'm almost there.

MIA: I'm here. Hurry up, guys, I hate sitting alone.

The small cafe we're going to isn't that far away from here, so I don't have to leave when everyone else does. Still, I try to hurry as I walk down the stairs.

"Dad, I'm going!" I exclaim, unlocking the door with a key.

He walks out of his study and smiles at me. "I don't get a hug before you go?"

I rush over to him and wrap my arms around his waist. He embraces me and plants a kiss in my hair before pulling back, pride all over his face.

"I'll see you later, baby." He whispers.

"Bye, dad." I say. "Love you."

"Love you too, sweetheart. Have a good first day."

I send him a nervous grin before walking back over to the front door and pulling it open. I pull my bag up onto my shoulder as I walk down the path, and toward a new beginning.

After breakfast alone, we all walk into school. We're supposed to go to an assembly in the hall, which we arrive to early, taking up spaces at the back.

I sit between Edie and Gracie as I set my bag on the floor, then shrug my coat off.

As the minutes go on, the assembly hall fills up until it's crowded with people and scorching. I pull my water bottle out of my bag and take a long sip, helping myself to cool down.

The head of sixth form walks to the front of the room. "Welcome, everyone. My name is—"

She's cut off when the double doors open and a young boy with brown hair walks in. I don't recognise him at first, but the scar below his eye gives him away as the boy I saw last night. With the bright illumination in the hall, I can make him out better this time. His pale blue eyes are striking, and for a moment I swear every girl in the room is staring into them, hoping they look back. He shakes his head a little bit, moving his wind-tatted hair back to place simply.

"Jesus, he's hot." Gracie whispers.

He really is.

The head sighs at the interruption, the distaste clear on her face.