35

• AMALIA •

Archer and I walk to art silently. I drag my wet shoes along the floor, and we get to the classroom in no time. I sit beside him, and he sends me a reassuring smile before the teacher begins talking.

"Today we'll be doing pottery." She says, smiling. "Everyone take one of the stands."

I frown down at the brace on my wrist. The teacher tells me to work on my sketch book since I won't be able to participate, but instead I go on my phone, claiming to look for inspiration when she asks why I'm on it.

     I open the rest of the messages from the family group chat.

     DAD: 1404.

     DAD: 1404.

     DAD: Radom numbers.

     DAD: Radom.

     DAD: RANDOM.

     MASON: Got there in the end.

     EMILIO [SENIOR]: [party hat emoji]

     ESTELLE: Stop using emojis dad.

     DAD: EMILIO YOU HAVE KIDS!!

     EMILIO [SENIOR]: Yep, a whole bundle of them.

     EMILIO [JUNIOR]: [raised eyebrow emoji]

ESTELLE: Tf why did u say bundle?

COLE: [eggplant emoji]

ELIJAH: What the fuck.

[COLE] DELETED A MESSAGE

COLE: SHIT my bad. Meant to send that to someone else.

GRAYSON: Who are you trying to send it to?

     DAD: [eggplant emoji x7]

     XANDER: Don't do that dad.

     DAD: Why?

DAD: [eggplant emoji]

PIETRO: It's a dick.

ROMEO: Don't say that. It's gross, dad.

DAD: A dick?

PIETRO: Yes.

DAD: [eggplant emoji]

     DAD: Heidi isn't in this group?

     I frown and turn my phone off again. I put it in my bag and search for my lunchbox, my frown deepening when I don't see it. I groan quietly when I remember that I left it at home, on the kitchen counter.

     I lay my head on the table, pushing my sketchbook away. A second later someone taps my shoulder, and I look up to see Archer. He has a look in his eyes I can't decipher that's swirled in with pity. I glance away from him as he sits beside me.

     "You should go do your pottery." I mumble.

     "I'll sit here with you. I don't like it." He replies.