51

• AMALIA •

I snap my head toward the door when I hear it open. My eyes widen a little when I see Silas there. Slowly, she walks around the patio chairs until she's standing in front of us.

She nods to Archer. "Get lost."

     "What?" He questions.

     "Did I mumble?"

Archer frowns. I scowl at her. "Go back upstairs. Isn't it past your bedtime?"

She doesn't look fazed by my comment. "Tell your boyfriend to leave."

"You leave." I say.

"Okay. We can do this in front of him if you want." She replies, her Italian accent slightly peeking through as she speaks.

My eyes narrow into a glare.

"Do what?" Archer questions.

"Could you make me hot chocolate in the kitchen?" I ask him.

"Amalia—"

"I just need to talk to Silas." I say.

He sighs as he searches my face for any insight into what I'm so blatantly hiding from him. But then he shakes his head and stands, walking in and brushing his hand over my shoulder in a comforting touch. I wrap my arms around my waist in an attempt to protect myself against the sudden cold that emits from around me when the door closes.

     Silas drops into his seat, then asks: "where are the drugs?"

     "None of your business."

     "They're dangerous. They could kill you."

     "I know what to do." I say.

     "Clearly not."

     My scowl deepens. "You're not getting them back. I paid."

     "Yeah? You wanna bet?"

     She stands, then walks back toward the door. My eyebrows furrow, but then I stand and follow her when I realise that she's going to my room.

     "Silas!" I shout.

     She walks up the stairs, and I'm almost up them when I hear my bedroom door start to open. She closes it behind her, and I rush to pull it toward me.

     Silas is standing in the middle of the room, looking around. Then I run up to her, jump on her back and tackle her to the ground. I hear her inhale a surprised breath as I pin my thighs on either side of her hips.

     However, it only takes her a moment to turn the tables, flipping me around so she's on top of me.

     The door opens again, and I look over at it as my dad walks in.

     He looks at us for a moment before saying: "what's going on?"

     "I'm trying to stop your daughter from hurting herself!" Silas exclaims as I attempt to squirm away, but she keeps a firm hold on me. When I bring my hands up in an attempt to swat her away, they're quickly pinned to my sides.

     "What?" My dad asks, walking over.

     "Don't listen to her!" I say hastily, my voice full of urgency.

     "She's addicted to Clonazepam." Silas tells him.

"No I'm not!" I shout.

"Stop lying." Silas orders calmly.