32

• AMALIA •

"Amalia." My father says as he walks into the living room. He's wearing one of his nice suits, and he looks very clean. Not that he's dirty normally or anything. He just looks like he put a lot of effort into the way—

I gasp.

"Are you going on a date?"

     "What? No." He replies quickly. "I'm just going out. I'll be back soon."

     "Where are you going?" I ask.

     "Nowhere."

     I grin. "Mhmm."

     "Bye, baby." He says, leaning down to kiss my cheek.

     "Bye. Have fun on your date."

     "That's not where I'm going." He says as he walks out of the living room. A few moments later I hear the door open and close.

I climb off the couch and run upstairs, into Mason's room. He's staying the night again, and Jenna is beside him.

"Mason!"

"What?"

"Dad's going on a date!" I exclaim, jumping up and down.

"Yeah, I know."

     I scowl, pausing. "He told you?"

     "Mhm."

     "He didn't tell me." I say, putting my hand on my hip and leaning to one side. I begin to move my feet, shuffling from side to side.

     "Then how do you know?"

     "I guessed." I reply. "Wait, why did he tell you and not me?"

     "You get excited easily."

     My jaw drops open. "No I don't!"

     "You're literally dancing."

     I pause, stopping my movement. "Whatever. Bye, Jenna."

I turn and leave. When I'm almost by my bedroom, Mason yells: "shut my door!"

I drag myself back over and slam it. I successfully return to my bedroom this time. I grab my phone off the nightstand and turn it on, clicking on Xander's contact.

He answers on the second ring. "Hey, Amalia—"

"Hi, bitch."

     "What?"

     "You heard. You better give Archer that job, or I'll fuck you up."

     He laughs. "Is that right?"

     "Righter than a correct answer." I mumble.

     "Huh?"

     "It doesn't matter!" I exclaim. "If you don't give Archer that job, I'll steal all the plates in your restaurant. And guess what? You can't serve food without plates!"

     His chuckle fills the speaker again.

     "You think I'm joking? Grayson and Cole taught me how to fight. I'll kick your ass."

He doesn't stop laughing. I frown.

"You laugh like a chicken. Give him the job or feel my wrath." I say.

I end the call.

There's a knock at the door then, but the person on the other side doesn't wait before coming in. Ally smiles at me, but she looks sad.