43

• AMALIA •

The next day we go to the seats at the back of the dance bus again. Archer smiles at me as he goes by the window, letting me go in the aisle seat.

     He puts the arm rest separating us down so hr can curl an arm around my waist. I shuffle closer to him.

     "Archie!" Ally shouts from the front of the bus. A moment later she's beside us. "You've got my skittles."

     He reaches down into a plastic bag he brought and hands her the pack of skittles. She smiles. "Thank you!" And then runs off again.

     I turn to Archer and—before I have the chance to become nervous—press my lips against his in a short kiss.

     But then he pulls me to him again, bringing me to straddle his lap, and kisses me harder. We're mostly secluded in the back, tall chairs surrounding us. I feel private and safe and everything as Archer continues to kiss me, holding me flush against him as though he's afraid I'll walk away from him.

     His hand moves to my lower back, his knuckles grazing the bottom of my spine through the thin t-shirt I'm wearing.

     "Archer—" My voice is a quiet plea. And I wonder, now, if I'm supposed to tell him that I love him. More than anything. That I felt like I'd died, and he brought me to life again. Like until he showed up I was just a decaying, rotting corpse, but he filled me with the magic that is love and made me complete.

     Because now, in this moment, I'm more certain than ever that he's the thing I need the most, like an intoxicating drug. But his kiss, his care, his affection and attention is the healthiest obsession one could have.

     "Amalia." He says quietly, pulling back a little. He doesn't let go of me, and the disconnection of our lips leaves me rather cold, so I shuffle closer to him. My legs now dangle off his lap and I'm sitting sideways, my back leaning on the cold window behind me.

     "Yeah?" I respond, staring deeply into those mesmerising grey eyes.

     He inhales a small, uncertain breath. Then he nods, as though convincing himself to say whatever's on his mind. "I love you."

     My eyes widen a little, but then a my heart bursts because Archer King loves me.

     "I love you too." I say doubtlessly. My hand is still on his jaw, and he tilts his head a bit to kiss my palm before pulling me closer. He smiles, and I beam back at him, having the sudden urge to tell him everything that's ever happened to me.

     His smile widens as he looks at me.

     I squeeze his cheek. "You're so pretty. I love it."

     A surprised laugh escapes him. "What?"

     I kiss his cheek at the spot I just squeezed. I frown when my phone dings with a message, pulling the device out of my pocket and sending it a disapproving, annoying glance for interrupting Archer and I.

     But then my blood runs cold.

     UNKNOWN: I can't wait to watch you dance tonight.

At the petrol station we stop at, I wash my face with the tap water in the bathroom.

     I look up at myself in the mirror. I don't have the energy to get up on a stage and dance. Not even after Archer told me he loved me. As soon as I got that message, everything in me just deflated.