Chapter 26

NOTE - For anyone just starting this book, I took a three-year hiatus between Chapters 25 and 26, so if there are any tonal/writing changes there's not much a can of about it tbh. Anyway, for anyone who's been waiting a couple of years for this chapter, here it is. 😘

The wind blew gently against his face, though the chill that it brought was small enough that the sunshine overshadowed it, the warmth that it brought being much stronger. 

The two had decided that they would just walk to the pet store, claiming that it would be a waste of good weather to get a ride. They both fell back into a well-known routine, with China speaking at a mile a minute, with Russia ever so often giving his thoughts on whatever topic was brought up.

China was currently telling him about two students in his debate class who had argued enough that the professor had asked them to leave for the day, which was a bit ironic, given that it was the entire point of the class to argue.

"You know, I can't say I'm too surprised. I think every single time you've brought up that class it's been about two idiots who can't shut their mouths." Russia remember back to the last few times they met up, he hadn't even realized how often that particular class had popped into their conversations.

China nodded in agreement, a look of annoyance crossing his features for a moment, but it was gone just as quickly, "Whatever, not our problem. So, how are your parent's doing? I know you said they only had a few more days in the hospital, but any idea how soon they'll fully recover?"

Russia shrugged, his shoulders dropping at the thought of his parents' conditions, "As well as they can be, I guess. I honestly just think they're just sick of being cooped up in the hospital." He briefly remembered Third's threats toward the doctors and nurses, who ended up ignoring his complaints after a few days. As much as he supported his mother, and felt as though the nurses were justified in their actions, Third could be grating when he wanted to be. "As for when they're going to recover, we're still not completely sure, It kind of just depends on how their bodies react to the physical therapy and medications. At least I think, I honestly don't pay attention like I should with that kind of stuff."

"That's valid, my memories pretty shit when it comes to that kind of stuff, there's a reason I didn't go into the medical field y'know." Towards the end of his sentence, China's face screwed up in a way that Russia couldn't help but snicker at, "My mom made me take pictures of where he got shot when they were changing his bandages, wanna see?"

China's face scrunched up even further, looking over at his friend with a sour look on his face, "No. Thanks."

Russia grinned over his scarf in response, "It was just a question, no need to get so pissy at me. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't depriving you of an interesting photo."

His friend studied him a bit closer, squinting suspiciously, "You're more obnoxious than usual, are you drunk? High? Under the influence?"

Russia couldn't stop the laugh that escaped him, before shaking his head to stop himself from continuing to laugh like a madman, "And if I was? Anything wrong with that?"

"Then you're more ballsy than I remember, Ruski boy."

They walked in silence for a while, but Russia knew that it would end the moment he saw a look of realization cross China's face. His friend's eyes narrowed as he turned to look him in the eyes, "Speaking of balls, I heard a fun fact from Japan the other day, about you, and a certain obnoxious asshole."

Russia's eyes widened, which was a motion that did not go unnoticed by the shorter country, he then took his hands out of his pockets to give his friend an innocent shrug. "Uh, surprise?"