Ch. 31: Beast to Beast

Elsewhere, Luz made it to the library. She found an alley to transform back in, walking out casually as she dusted her clothes off while making sure her hood was up.

"Alright, let's see if Amity is here today." Luz said, walking up the steps of the library.

She opened the door and headed to the kid's section.

'Amity said she usually reads to the younger kids, so that's the best place to find her.' Luz thought.

She did find Amity there, reading about the animals of earth from the book she found earlier.

"And this majestic creature is called a Tiger, one of the strongest cats in the Human Realm. My personal favorite, is the Bengal Tiger, because they can occasionally give birth to a tiger with white fur." Amity said, flipping the page and showing the pictures of tigers.

"Ooooh!" The kids let out, fascinated by the earth animals.

'Where did she get that book?' Luz thought in surprise.

Amity flipped a few pages.

"And this, is a Jaguar, an apex predator in the area it inhabits." Amity said, flipping the page to a black version, "And this is a Black Jaguar, commonly referred to as a Black Panther. It occurs when a mutation happens, that prevents it from having the orange fur color. I believe this is the monster that's been reported in the woods, somehow getting to the Isles from the Human Realm, working its way up the food chain until it's the queen of the woods."

"Oooooh!" They let out as one child held up their hand.

"Yes, Braxus?" Amity asked.

"Is it's dark color also a means of camouflage in the night?" Braxus asked.

"Yes, yes, it is." Amity said with a nod, "According to the book, they hide in the trees, blending in with the shadows, and wait for hours for their prey to go under them. That's when they strike. Biting down on the back of their prey's head. A single killing blow, and then it will drag it to its den and eat it."

'Okay, this cannot be child-friendly.' Luz thought before hearing the kids cheer and clap. 'Dear god, this place has no limits at all, does it? A bet a graphic horror novel would just be 1st grade level here!'

"Okay, I think that's enough for right now." Amity said, closing the book, "Your parents will be here soon, so play a little while I put the book back, and remember, if the Panther shows up, she'll probably like being scratched behind the ears."

'Damn, that does sound nice.' Luz thought.

Amity walked up to Luz and kissed her cheek.

"Hi, Luz."

"Hey, Amity. Guess I wasn't exactly stealthy, was I?" Luz asked her.

"No, I noticed you right when you arrived." Amity said with a smile. "So, did you come here to see little old me?"

"Well, I'm on a mission." Luz said, "I'm helping King with something."

"Awe, this is what I like about you, you always help others." Amity said, scratching Luz behind the ears, "You are so adorable when helping others."

Luz got a relaxed look as Amity did that.

'Oh, she's right, I do enjoy this.' Luz thought.

Amity giggled at Luz's relaxed look as she leaned closer, stealing another kiss on her cheek.

"So, what exactly do you need to help King? I've studied the library system enough to help with nearly any subject." Amity said.

"We're looking for information about... Titans." Luz said.