Chapter 6

We have to barricade the castle" I hear Mommy say to Daddy.

"What will Blight think?" Daddy asks Mommy.

"I don't know, but we cant risk her safety."

I see Daddy run a hand through his dark brown hair. "I know, I just don't want her to worry."

Why do they have to barricade the castle?

I lean onto the vent without thinking. It falls out of the wall with a loud metalic thud. Mommy and Daddy look over, their faces just turned white. I look into Daddy's green eyes. They seem calm, when I look into Mommy's blue eyes I see fear.

Mommy starts to twirl her blonde hair, something she only does when she is upset. "Blight, what all did you hear?" Mommy asks me.

"Everything..."

"Well that makes telling her a little easier." Daddy looks over at Mommy.

"Telling me what?" I ask quickly. Mommy walks over to Daddy and smacks his head, not hard though.

"David! She does not know! Now she is going to ask about it!" Mommy yells at Daddy. I recoil. Daddy picks me up.

"Its okay Pumpkin." Daddy spins me around in a circle and I start to laugh. This lasts for a few minutes until I realize they are trying to divert my attention. I focus again.

"What did you need to tell me?" I ask now serious.

"Didn't you hear? Curiosity killed the cat." Mommy says before Daddy can open his mouth.

"What?"

"Julia, she is ten. She does not understand idioms." Daddy scolds.

"Whats an idiun?" I ask, now even more curious.

"And IDIOM is putting style into what you say." Mommy replies.

"Oh."

"Lets get you into your room." Daddy says before I can ask anymore questions. He picks me up and turns towards the steps. We are just starting up the steps when I hear a bunch of loud bangs.

"Daddy? Whats going on?" I start to tremble in fear.

"Nothing sweetie!" Daddy yells as he whips open his black wings. Mommy grabs me and starts to run towards the bunker door. We are close to it when two people break through a nearby window one is a man and one is a woman. They see me and Mommy and start running after us. Mommy quickly unfolds her wings and motions for me to do the same. Then she bolts into the air. I'm not fast enough though and before I can escape the woman grabs me. I start to scream and flail trying to escape. The person starts shaking me. I look over at Mommy, she came down to save me but the man grabbed her and is dragging her away. I hear her screaming my name repeatedly while I scream and flail.