Chapter 4: Just My Luck

Chapter 4: Just my Luck

I stand dazed at the moment I'd just had. After the mysterious man bowed to me and left, I felt both annoyed and amazed.

I was annoyed that he'd grabbed me for a mere reason of just using me. On the other hand I was amazed that he even had the guts to pull a random girl aside. I scolded myself for not pushing him away or even slapping him in the face. But his demeanor kept me where I was. Childish enjoyment stamped his face and kept me paralyzed on my spot. He was simply excited and amused. How can I take that away even from a stranger?

I slowly drift away from the thought as my subconscious lightly tugged at me. Something was trying to get my attention.

"Spence!" I quickly snapped out of my daydream as a familiar voice entered my range of hearing. I saw Harley running to me smiling. "I thought I'd lost you! Jeez don't leave me like that. I thought you left behind me."

She stopped talking for a minute. "What's up? What's wrong?" She asked.

I shook my head trying to clear my head. "Oh sorry. I thought you left. I was just...scared." I smiled.

She chuckled and shook her head. Then she looked around. "This place is something." She breathed.

I smiled. "I know. I wish I could live here." I said back finally able to take my mind away from the mysterious man.

+++++++++++++++

It has been a little over a week since my encounter with the mysterious man. I don't rememeber everything that happened but it was still on my mind . I lectured myself for drifting off again from what I was doing.

My real mission began the day after we went to the village. Once we got back to the hotel both Harley and I passed out on our bed with our dresses still on. We slept until the morning when our roommate's alarmclock went off. We quickly got ready and headed out.

The bus gave us a lift to Kangnung, one of the coastal cities that was severely hit. Everything was destroyed. Nothing was left. It was just a big wet mess.

For once I was thankful for school. Even though they were all online work, it was a few hours of distraction from the real world. Seven to twelve hours of academic harvesting.

I gave a spoonful of warm soup to the small boy in front of me. He bowed gratefully and that immediately tugged at my heart. I am so thankful for the many things I own.

Suddenly there were screaming. Everyone at my area looked towads the place where it was coming from. A large crowd started forming around a white medium sized truck. Someone from the Korean volunteers said something and Helen, our translator, translated that apparently someone showed up with more food.

Someone from the truck yelled something and was pointing at someone among the crowd. They opened the backdoor of the truck and someone climbed up inside the truck to tower over the people. Everyone started screaming and reaching up to the person. I moved my hand to cover my face from the sun.

It was a man wearing a plain white t-shirt and ripped blue jeans. He had on aviators that matched well with his lightly tanned skin and dark hair.

Whoever this guy was, he must be well known to the people. He started handing out bags of food to the people and was helped by a few volunteers that joined him inside the truck to hand out the food.

I resumed my work giving soup to the kids that stayed by our area to get their soup. A girl looked back at the truck with envy mixed with a defeated look. I looked at the girl, the size and looks of a sixteen year old girl. I remembered my days of being a sixteen year old girl when I felt no boldness and let other people push me around.