chapter eighteen

ATHENA AND PEDRO plopped their bags onto the floor of the Airbnb, a small villa tucked in by the ocean side

onto the floor of the Airbnb, a small villa tucked in by the ocean side. The weather outside was beautiful — much better than the blistering cold they were experiencing in New York.

   "What do you think?" Athena asked as she waltzed around.

   "It looks even better than where I'd imagined where I would be taking you on our first getaway," Pedro smiled.

  "Awh," Athena smirked, "You imagined that?"

   "Shut up," he grumbled, walking over to wear she was standing.

    She placed her arms around his neck, and he places his around her waist. They smiled as they studied each other's faces.

  "Why Spain?" She asked, referring to their current whereabouts.

   Pedro smiled, "I wanted to go somewhere where you could practice your Spanish."

   "Why not Chile?"

   "God, I don't want you to have to deal with my family yet."

   Athena laughed and kissed him, "I would love to meet them."

   "You say that now," Pedro began, "But wait until they force you to answer endless questions about marriage, babies, and make you dance for hours."

   "Sounds like fun to me."

   Pedro smiled and kissed her again, "Wanna go see the city?"

   "How about we do something else first?" Athena suggested.

   "Like what?"

   She motioned to the bed, causing Pedro to smirk and push her back onto the mattress.

    THE DAY CONSISTED OF sight seeing and roaming the streets, and attempting not to get recognized. The two tried to keep a low profile with sunglasses and hats, keeping their heads hung low.

Athena had reached out to the restaurant they were going to eat at and request that they could have a private table, to which they happily obliged.

Their table set for two along with the candles set in between them became a much needed calmness amidst the craziness of the past two days. Something Athena has not experienced in a long time.

"I just realized something," Pedro stated.

"Hm?" Athena hummed, while sipping on her cocktail.

"I don't know you're favorite color," he said.

Athena playfully rolled her eyes, "Is that that important?"

"Of course! I want to know everything about you, mi Athena."

Him saying her name in his accent made her go weak in the knees. She attempted to ignore the bubbly feeling and answered the question, "baby blue."

"That fits you."

"And yours?"

"Red."

"And that fits you," she grinned.

Pedro took a sip of his drink and asked another question, "Favorite drink?"

"Chocolate milk," she answered proudly.

"Not what I meant, but I honestly don't know how I expected anything else from you."

Athena laughed and said, "I know yours."

"Really?"

"Whiskey."

"How'd you know?"

"You were drinking it the night we met," she answered, "And you had like — 5 or something,"

Pedro hesitated and stared at her, "I kinda thought you didn't remember anything about that night."

"Why'd you think that?"

"Well," he fiddled with the silverware laid out on the table, "You left the next morning."

Athena sank in her seat a little and didn't make eye contact with him.

"I know relationships are hard for you," Pedro began as he grabbed her hand from across the table, "I just want to know why, and how I can help you."

Athena smiled, "I just — you know. Oscar has maybe mentioned it to you. I grew up with parents who were always fighting and eventually got divorced when I was 18. They hate each other now. My dad is dating someone younger than me. I just don't want to end up that way.

"And when you fell asleep last night — I was watching you, passed out, whiskey glass in hand. And I got butterflies. And it terrified me. So I did the only thing I knew how to do. I ran. Ran before things could get too deep.

"And then you walked into my hospital room with those flowers and those eyes. And I knew. I knew this was real. Something I couldn't run away from."

She realized Pedro wasn't saying anything, just staring at her. Eventually, he leaned across the table and kissed her, "God, I'm glad to have you."

-> AUTHOR'S NOTE!
idk if that gif works or not so someone comment if it does or doesn't lol. also i think pedro's fav color is purple but i wanted their fav colors to match w the collages i made in the intro chapter lol