chapter thirty

ATHENA ST. JAMES TAKES CONTROL OF HER NARRATIVE
Vogue

It's been a wild year for actress Athena St

It's been a wild year for actress Athena St. James. Blockbusters were released, headlines were made, controversies took over news stands, and hearts were broken. Now, after her year-long hiatus, the Oscar nominated actress is here to set the record straight.

VOGUE: What a year, Athena. What a year.

Athena laughs and takes a sip of water. I could tell she was slightly nervous, as she hadn't done many interviews in a while, and had taken a break from social media.

ATHENA: To put it simply.

VOGUE: How would you describe it in your own words?

ATHENA: Oh, wow. That's hard. I would say crazy, traumatic, and weirdly romantic.

VOGUE: You had your fair share of controversies this year. Would you like to clear up the rumors regarding your firing of your former agent?

ATHENA: I would love to. I was taken in by this agent almost 10 years ago. She was helping me get jobs I had never dreamed of getting. I was becoming successful, but unfortunately, my relationship with my work didn't allow me to enjoy this success.

VOGUE: How so?

ATHENA: Well...

Athena paused and takes a sip of water.

ATHENA: Sorry, it's just... hard to relive this stuff after you've healed from it.

VOGUE: I completely understand, take all the time you need.

ATHENA: Well, my agent began giving me some... uppers. To keep me going throughout my workdays. This started as an every once in a while occurrence, became her giving me multiple pills a day, which was incredibly unhealthy, obviously.

VOGUE: And correct me if I'm wrong, is what resulted in your hospitalization this past year?

ATHENA: Yes, that's correct. I hadn't gotten much sleep in... well, 10 years.

She laughs, but I can tell she's still hurting from it. But healing.

ATHENA: And those stories in the media came out about me having a drug problem, which was sort of true. I just wouldn't blame myself for the situation.

Multiple people besides Athena have confirmed this hospitalization was from uppers. We have contacted past coworkers of Athena to see if they witnessed anything unusual regarding Athena's former agent. Almost all reported strange conduct from the agent.

VOGUE: I am so sorry.

ATHENA; It is what it is.

VOGUE: Do you mine if we dive into your personal life for a second?

ATHENA: Not at all!

VOGUE: So... Pedro?

She throws her head back and dramatically clutches at her heart at the sound of his name.

ATHENA: Pedro!

VOGUE: The first we saw of you two were from paparazzi photos in Spain. How did that relationship come about?

ATHENA: Well, our mutual best friend Oscar introduced us, and really wanted us to get together. Unfortunately, as I hate when Oscar is right, we did. We kind of fell extremely fast. And when my mental health and work relationship was at its worst - Pedro took me away. He knew what I needed, even when I didn't. He is genuinely the most caring, selfless, hot, incredibly person I have ever known.

VOGUE: So, it's safe to say you two are now together?

ATHENA: As fuck!

VOGUE: Moving on to your career, you've been nominated for an Oscar!

ATHENA: Once again, as fuck!

VOGUE: Your performance in Barbie was incredibly well received by audiences and critics alike. How did it feel?

ATHENA: Honestly, the best part about it was that my work was being well received while I had a supportive and healthy group of people around me. It was better than anything I could imagine.

VOGUE: We can't wait to see you accepting that award!

Athena began using the voice Pedro used in that one hospital SNL skit.

ATHENA: Oh my gahd, don't jinx meh!

VOGUE: Thank you so much for being here, Athena. We're all rooting for you.

ATHENA: Thank you for having me. Sorry I wasn't cracking as many jokes, I was a lot funnier on drugs.

It was an absolute pleasure to interview Athena, someone I've greatly admired for so long. Especially after this interview. The love she has for her friends, work, and Pedro very much shined through. I'd like to be invited to the wedding.

   -> AUTHOR'S NOTE
    athena i love u