chapter twenty six

ATHENA WENT STRAIGHT to Pedro's after her conversation with Taylor

ATHENA WENT STRAIGHT to Pedro's after her conversation with Taylor. She couldn't let Pedro go. He was truly the love of her life. He needed to know the truth about everything.

   It began pouring rain, and Pedro was not immediately opening the door. She couldn't imagine where he would be, as he didn't tell her he had anything to film in the coming weeks.

   She began knocking on the door more aggressively, then turned to shouting, "Pedro! Please open the door!"

   Knocking turned to pounding, and alas — no answer. Sulking, she decided to sit on his steps and drown herself in the raindrops. She started sobbing again, for the second time that night.

   "'Thena?" She heard a familiar voice say.

   She looked up to see Pedro, umbrella in hand, walking up the sidewalk with his older sister.

   "H-Hi," Athena said, mortified that she was meeting Pedro's sister for the first time looking like a mess, "I'm Athena."

  "I know," Javiers chuckled, "I'm so excited finally meet you. I'm Javiera. Pedro has told me so much-"

   Pedro loudly cleared his throat, signaling to his sister to go inside.

  "We'll talk later," she assured Athena, who gave a warm smile back.

   Pedro hurried to take off his jacket and give it to Athena, and walked close to her to give her the protection of the umbrella. She thanked him, tears still streaming down her face.

   "What are you doing here?" He said, almost emotionless.

   "I wanted to see you. To apologize."

   "For what?" He said, again, emotionless.

   "For accusing you of calling the paparazzi. It was wrong and I was just upset in the moment and I-"

   "I know, Athena. I know."

   Taken aback, Athena asked, "Why haven't you been returning my calls or texts then?"

   Pedro sighed and said, "I knew what you said came from a moment of panic, but it still hurt Athena. It really hurt."

   Athena didn't respond.

   "I don't think we can do this again without one of us getting extremely hurt. And I don't think you've been completely honest about your life with me, and that's fine, but it's just-"

  "I've been taking uppers every single day for the past 13 years. I couldn't get out of bed without having pills shoved down my throat. That day in the hospital, I took too many. It was Amanda. That's why I fired her. I hadn't had a full week off until I met you. Hell, I didn't even know a full week off was possible. My parents and I don't talk anymore. I haven't reached out and neither have they. And I hate myself for these things. I really do."

"Athena-"

"I thought you were gonna judge me for this stuff. For the drugs, and my family, and I couldn't allow myself to be fully honest with you. And I'm sorry. I really am."

Pedro sighed and wiped some of the mascara running down her cheeks, "I just... I can't."

Athena felt as if she had been shot. She retracted from Pedro's touch and started to tear up again.

"Good choice," she joked as she tried to smile.

"Athena-"

"No, no. It's okay," she said as her voice cracked, "it's really okay."

He sighed and stared at her.

"Bye, Pedro," she said as she kissed him on the cheek.

She walked to her car and immediately drove away. Not wanting to go home. Not wanting to stay. Not sure where she was heading.

Pedro slowly walked into his townhouse, and upon opening the door, saw Javiera right by the door.

"You were listening?" He questioned.

"Ya," his sister responded, "And you're a fucking idiot."

-> AUTHOR'S NOTE!
athena is so evermore/ midnights coded.