chapter twenty

THE NIGHT CAME quickly while Pedro and Athena roamed the streets of Barcelona

THE NIGHT CAME quickly while Pedro and Athena roamed the streets of Barcelona. Music played throughout the town and people were all over, laughing, eating, and most importantly - not recognizing the two famous actors.

The two were walking with hats and sunglasses on, holding hands. Athena would glance over at Pedro every couple minutes, and he to her.

  "Are you having fun?" Pedro asked, squeezing her hand.

   "Fun?" She chuckled, "This is the best time I've had in years."

   Pedro laughed and threw his arm around her, placing a kiss on her head. They continued walking and noticed there was loud Spanish music coming from around the corner.

They followed, and saw a large group of people dancing, laughing, and enjoying themselves.

Pedro smiled and let go of Athena, slowly entering the group.

"Oh God," Athena groaned. Pedro began enthusiastically dancing along with the crowd. Athena playfully hid her eyes from his dancing, blushing.

   "C'mon, Athena!" Pedro called out, continuing to dance. She wasn't sure why — but Athena decided to join him.

   She began awkwardly swaying. Pedro had to grab her hands and spin her around to get her moving. Athena had never done anything like this before, and for some reason, she didn't feel completely awkward.

Pedro kept spinning her around to the music, as it reminded him of visiting Chile. He loved that she felt comfortable enough to dance in public like this.

  "I think this is the most I've ever gone out of my comfort zone," Athena smiled.

  "How does it feel?" Pedro asked, spinning her around once again.

   "Amazing," she answered.

   Even though the two were disguised in hats and sunglasses, they were the most vibrant on the street. Everyone would turn to look at the couple who was dancing without a care in the world.

   "Can I tell you something?" Athena asked.

   "Anything."

   "I think I'm in love with you."

   Pedro paused and then smirked, "Did you hit your head as a child or something?"

   Athena jokingly shoved him, embarrassed he didn't respond with the same feelings. As she was walking away, he grabbed her hand and pulled her back into him.

  "I've been in love with you since I met you, 'Thena."

   He then dipped her and passionately kissed her. The butterflies in Athena's stomach were uncontrollable. She hadn't felt this way in — well, ever.

THE TWO ACTORS drunkenly walked to the beach, despite it being windy and pitch black. For some reason, their intoxicated reasoning told them the only way to celebrate their first 'I love you's' is to go to the beach.

They laid down in the sand, throwing off their hats and sunglasses. Pedro stared at the sky. Athena stared at Pedro.

   "I meant what I said when I told you I loved you," He said.

   "I know. I meant it too." Athena smiled.

   Pedro sighed and stared at the stars in the sky. His mind was racing with uncertainty.

   "I've never done something like this before," he commented.

   "Laid out drunk on a Spanish beach?" Athena jokingly asked.

   "No. Loved a woman this much."

   Athena paused, unsure of what to say.

   "I don't know if Oscar ever told you, but I've had some shitty luck in life. My parents and I had to flee Chile when I was a baby. I grew up always moving around. I moved to New York. My dad got in legal trouble and my whole family left, except for me. And then a couple years after, my mom died."

   "Oh, Pedro," Athena grabbed his hand, "I had no idea."

   Pedro continued on, "It was so difficult for me to date. I had so much — doubt, I guess. I didn't want to feel the pain my dad felt about my mom. Ever.

    "So I didn't. I only ever really had hookup relationships. And I'd always wanted more, but I was too afraid to act on it. But Jesus, when I met you for the first time, it changed me. I needed you. I loved you, from the moment I saw you in Oscar's apartment. Eres tu, my Athena. You're the love of my life."

   Athena was crying at his words. No one had ever said this to her, and she couldn't control herself. She leaned over and kissed him, passionately.

   In that moment, they were both sure they would never let what happened to their parents happen to them.

   —> AUTHOR'S NOTE!
    your honor i love them