Chapter 3 - First Day of School (Again)

"...Did you sleep okay?" Tristan asked, We were in his car, him in the front seat and me in the back. I nodded, watching the trees shoot by. "I thought we broke that silence barrier last night," Tristan said, I sensed him smile. I laughed a little.

"Yes, I did." I replied.

"That's good," We lapsed into silence, both lost in our own thoughts. I wasn't looking forward to school, being the new kid again, at least this time I would have nice clothes, and my hair was clean and shiny, falling in curls around my shoulders. The clothes had been donated from some of Tristan's female friends,  there had been shoes as well, but I kept my own, a pair of white slip-ons, dirtied with age, and worn with time. They had belonged to Sarah, and I kept them with all the power I had. They were still a little damp this morning after last night's rain storm, but I took them anyway.

I wore a black crocheted beanie that I got for Christmas, Sarah had made it herself, and I thought it would prove useful in losing attention today at LaPush Reserve School, it had less than 250 students, my past school had almost 750! All eyes were probably going to be on me, whether I wore a beanie or not. Tristan pulled up his car in front of a modest building, it's stairs covered with students.

"Do you need me to come inside?" he asked when I got out of the car, I turned to face his open window.

"No, I'll manage." I replied

"Okay," he began to roll up the window. "Oh," I turned back to face him. "I'm working late today, so Paul will take you home," he drove off before I could tell him not to bother. There wasn't anything to hate about Paul, there just wasn't anything to like about him. I sighed and walked up the steps to the building.

I found the office relatively easily and went up to the only occupied desk. A woman sat behind and gestured so that I should come up to her.

"How may I help you?" she asked sweetly.

"My name is Neveah, I, uh," I broke eye contact, she had been staring too intently at my eyes, "need my schedule please,"

"Of course," she pulled out a couple of papers from her desk, a map of the school and my schedule. "Your first class is with Mr Evans in the next building, I'll send you a student advisor later to pick you up." she smiled, "have a nice day, Neveah."

I walked down the school corridor, keeping my head bent down, not wanting to draw unwanted attention, I quickly skimmed the map, memorised the route, and stuffed it into my pocket. The school was more like a series of two storey blocks arranged to make a semi-circle. I found my first class, maths with Mr Evans, It was a small square classroom with those desks that came with chairs. Most of them were already filled when I arrived, all eyes burned on me as I gave Mr Evans my slip of paper and he directed me to sit next to a window seat. At least there wouldn't be a huge introduction.

Things seemed to be going fine, they were moving on to a new unit so I wouldn't have to catch up, that was good. I took clean notes, ignoring every stare burning on my back, and created scenarios in my head in the case that Paul didn't come to pick me up. The rest of class was pretty boring, considering that Mr Evans kept drawling on and on about the same stupid fact, I was relieved when the bell rang for the end of Period One.

As I got up to stuff my books into my bag, A guy walked up to me, he had short dark hair, copper skin and a dimple on the side of his cheek. He smiled at me as I got up.

"You're Tristan's niece aren't you?" he asked, he was pretty cute.

"Yeah, I am," I slung my backpack onto my shoulders, and started to walk out of the classroom, he kept in step with me outside, holding the door and then trotting to keep up.