Chapter 5 - Party Games

The first week flew by, and soon it was Sunday again, I had finished all my work in advance for the next two weeks and Tristan had a free day so he took me out for lunch, Annie's Diner, was a quaint place that overlooked the beach, it was decorated on the inside with lavender cream walls and shiny linoleum floors. All the tables were surrounded by round, multi-coloured benches and the smell of fries hovered in front of your nose as soon as you stepped inside. It was warm inside and strangely comforting, the diner was half empty and so Tristan and I got good seats next to the window.

"How's school been going for you?" He asked, picking up the card menu.

"It's good, a little weird being the new kid." I shrugged and studied the menu. I sensed him put the menu down.

"How so?" he asked, sounding worried.

"I mean, lots of people just notice you, and you're kind of in the center of attention, I guess," I explained quickly, wanting to drop the topic. Luckily, a waitress came up to us, she seemed to know Tristan and asked how he was doing.

"I'll take the steak, no fries please," Tristan ordered.

"I'll take the chicken wrap, thank you," I ordered, the waitress smiled fondly at me, double looking as she took in my eyes.

"Right sweetheart, you've got an adorable niece, Doctor," she left briskly.

"Oh, um, Tristan?" I asked

"Yes?"

"What are your intakes on curfews?"

"That depends, why?" He looked up from his phone, his attention on me now.

"Well I was invited to a party, this coming Tuesday..."

"A week day?"

"Well, yeah, I guess, it's from 6pm to 9, can I go?" I asked hopefully, I twisted my hands on my lap watching him anxiously as he sipped his water, analysing what I had said.

"I guess, that's okay," he said finally "But you must be home by 9:30 pm, do you need help with transport?"

"Oh, no it's fine. I can walk back, it's pretty close and I know my way," That part was true at least, I had been over to Jill's house two times, in the past week, the lie was that I didn't exactly know my way, most of the time, I had to retrace my steps from Jill's place to the main street before going home. The truth was, I didn't want Tristan to come pick me up, based on what Jill had been talking about, I was sure that her parents wouldn't be home, that it would be a party that was kept a secret from her parents.

I felt bad about keeping a secret from Tristan, but it was my first party, and I didn't want to mess things up. Tuesday came and all that Jill could talk about was her party, some other people were going to be there, it would make us twenty in total.

"Hey Jill," I asked, she turned to face me, her face flushed with excitement.

"Yep?" she asked, she sat down on the seat next to me.

"Could I invite somebody over? Like my own guest?" I asked

"Of course, but only one person, we don't want it to be too crowded." she turned back to another group of girls and chattered to them excitedly. I excused myself from the table to go get my lunch, the school cafeteria had copious meal options each day, there was always a vegetarian option, a salad bar, classic sandwich fruit combos, and an option of a hot meal which changed on a weekly basis, I went over to the sandwich area and picked out a salmon and cream cheese bagel, I stood there peeling back the sandwich top to rearrange the smoke salmon so that each bite had equal parts.

"Heya!" I turned to see Seth, he looked like he had grown a foot over the weekend.

"Woah, Seth, you grew!" I said in shock, I took his height in. "How?" I asked, not only that, his style had changed too, before, he used to wear cute mid length shirts which highlighted his biceps, but now he wore a sleeveless hoodie he also wore shorts which confused me based on the cold weather.