Chapter 12 - Last Goodbyes

Neveah

"He looks so peaceful," I commented, Seth stood little ways from the front door, guarding it at all costs. He had been weird ever since we crossed the border, I couldn't figure out why. I sat perched on the end of the familiar red couch watching Tristan inhale and exhale, he slept fully clothed and in his caramel colored hands, was his phone. I was no longer thirsty, maybe it was the level of self control, maybe it was because Tristan was my uncle.

I brushed his hair back, trying hard not to focus on how different my skin tone was from him. Tristan and I were so alike in our physical features, it was hard to have that sameness torn away from you.

"You better hurry up," Seth warned, he didn't need to, I could hear the wolves surrounding the house, but they wouldn't come in. They knew not to.

"Neveah," whispered Tristan.

"I'm here," I replied absentmindedly. But Tristan didn't open his eyes, he was totally unconscious. Talking in his sleep.

"Won't you come home?" Tristan murmured, I felt a little pang in my heart, even though that wasn't possible because my heart had no use to me anymore.

"I can't, I'm, I'm in a better place now." I whispered. "I miss you Tristan. But I'm watching over you, no matter what." Tristan was silent, his breathing even and deep.

"Neveah," Seth said, quietly panicking.

"I love you Tristan, more than anything in the world." I pressed my cool lips to his brow and kissed him. "You're the best uncle in the whole universe and beyond that."

I got up, clenching my teeth together to fight a sob. Seth placed his hand gently on my shoulder, but we had no time to dwell, we had to leave. Sam was waiting for us in the forest in human form.

"Sue's been frantic," he told Seth. Nothing about him seemed angry or vexed, "You better get home," Seth looked over at me, worriedly.

"It's okay, I'll be fine." I said softly

"I'll take her back to Forks," Sam reassured. Seth leaned forward suddenly and hugged me, I hugged him back, taking care to not squeeze the life out of him. He ran off in the other direction and I followed Sam to the border where the Cullens were waiting.

"I would have done it, if I were you." Sam spoke indirectly, but I knew he was talking to me.

"Thank you," my voice was low, hoarse.

"I'll take care of your uncle as best as I can," Sam nudged me forward across the border. "Goodnight, Neveah."

I dipped my head in acknowledgement, before turning to face Carlisle and Esme. Esme simply held her arm out for me to come over. None of them talked on our way back to their house, Even when we did arrive back, they went back to their normal activities. Carlisle in his library working on his hospital papers, Esme with him, reading a book, Emmett and Rosalie in the living room, Alice and Jasper outside in the forest and Edward had gone to stay with Bella. That left me alone.

I went up to my room, opening the sliding window as wide as possible before sitting on the edge. I listened to the gentle sounds of the crickets and a quiet padding of footsteps as something ran through the midnight blue forest. The moon was barely visible, just a small slither behind the clouds, but it cast enough light to see. I guess, enough light to see well for a vampire.

I rested my chin on my kneecap, thinking of the events that had occurred in the past twenty-four hours. It was enough events to last three seasons of some cheesy drama series. I checked the time on the clock on the wall, it was well past midnight, almost three in the morning. Instinctively, I got into the bed and lay down, but I didn't fall asleep.