Chapter 4 - Exposed Secrets

Seth

First, the fierce low voices, then the shrill screeches and slams. That's how the fights always went between Leah and Dad, this time was different, there were longer silences.

I slammed my math book close, I could come up with an excuse for not completing my math homework. I crept down the stairs, my socked feet silent against the carpeted steps.

Leah was standing behind the couch, her hands aggravatingly clawing at her hair, Dad stood on the other side, eyebrows crinkled and mouth set straight he stared angrily at Leah. Mom was there too, she stood little ways from dad, her arms crossed and expression a slightly less fierce version of Dad's.

"I'm not apologising!" yelled Leah

"You will apologise! And you'll do it willingly and nicely!" Dad roared. A loud snarl ripped through Leah's throat.

I felt it before it even happened, every single one of the hairs on my body stood up straight. Almost as if being played in slow-motion, a mountain of fur burst out of Leah, her clothes falling in shreds around the living room. A grey wolf, the size of a bear stood in our living room, shaking its head side to side angrily.

"Leah!" gasped Mom. The wolf stopped, recognition washing over its dark eyes... Leah's eyes.

"How is this possible?" I turned, it was Dad, he lay on the floor, the impact of Leah's first phasing taking a toll on him. He heaved, chest faltering for air as he gasped and grasped at his heart.

"Harry? Harry!" Mom dropped to her knees next to Dad, tending to his forehead. "Where does it hurt? Wait, let me call an ambulance," she dialled on her phone, Dad gaze never left the wolf. Shock, disbelief, and almost pride written all over his face. He gasped, and didn't breathe a second time.

"Dad?" I asked in a shaky voice. I crouched to my knees, leaning against the banister for support. I felt feverishly sick, spasms of electricity travelled through my body, my hands suddenly were very hot against the banister and my clothes annoying binds that were holding me together.

I began to shake, shudders rolling through my bodies, voices rolling through my head.

Leah! Leah! You okay?

Sam! We have a new member!

Quil? Meet now, west side forest.

The shaking got worse, I suddenly burst. Loud shatters echoed in the house as chunks of banister and stairs fell around me. Leah was no longer a giant but the same size as me, it was Mom who was small now.

Seth? Leah's voice echoed through my head, What's going on Seth? I just killed Dad, I just killed Dad.

Stop it Leah, a small whine escaped my lips.

You can hear me? She looked bewildered. How long did you know?

"Leah? Seth?" we both looked at Mom, still kneeling over Dad's body, she gave us a broken smile through tears. "It'll be alright, don't worry," She reached up, rubbing my muzzle and Leah's flank.

I kept waiting to wake up, to realise that this was all a dream, maybe I fell asleep doing Math, maybe when I woke up and told Leah she would sneer and laugh then go back to brooding.

But I stayed in the living room, overwhelmed by every enhanced sense and a sudden longing to see Neveah and make sure she was safe.

Neveah

"Have you ever been camping?" Tristan asked, it was dinner on a thursday night, my second thursday in LaPush.