Chapter 6 - Relocated

I woke up in a hospital, My bed was extremely uncomfortable and several ridiculous wires were attached to my chest with sticky tabs, my torso was wrapped with some sort of heat pad which had a rubber tube coming out of it. Somebody else was here too, Tristan, holding my hand and praying. He had wrapped a catholic rosary around my hand and his hands covered over. I looked around the room, it was white all over and there were several screens that had lines that danced in perfect sequences. I listened to Tristan's murmured prayers, a wave of homesickness washed over me, as I listened to the familiar words. Tristan passed the crucifix over his head, chest and from shoulder to shoulder, carrying my hand with his. He opened his eyes and smiled to see me awake.

"Neveah," he smiled "how are you feeling?" He asked I stretched a little.

"Kind of dizzy, but okay," I commented, he nodded as if these were natural symptoms, it calmed me, Tristan was a doctor, he knew what was good and bad.

"Tristan," I swallowed down the lump in my throat. "I'm sorry for-"

"Sh, sh, it's okay, I don't blame you." Tristan comforted me, he clasped my hand close to his chest.

"But-" there was no controlling tears now, they rolled down my cheeks, "I was so stupid, and you've been so kind, I never tried to run because of you."

"I know, I know," Tristan tried to convince me, his voice broke and I saw his eyes filled with tears.

"I'm so happy here, Tristan," I blinked tears out of my eyes. "It's just that, last night," I broke off sobbing, Tristan rubbed my hand comfortingly, I tried to contain myself. "Last night, I was reminded of the time that Sarah left me alone in the car, and I got so mad instead of sad, and so I just ran." I had to gasp a little for air. "I never got mad before, and I-, I just ran from it," I cried, but Tristan wiped my eyes with a little handkerchief in his pocket.

"Neveah, I never will blame you, it's a difficult time for all of us," He tucked his handkerchief back into his pocket, pondering. "Did you know," he started, and sighed, "That Sarah and I aren't the biological kids of your grandparents?" I looked at him in shock, Sarah had never talked about her past. He nodded to confirm that it was true.

"She was about four and I was nine, she adjusted so well, but I struggled so much," he let a couple of tears fall out. "I couldn't adjust to anything in my new environment, I ran away." He regained himself. "I did the wrong thing, I didn't want help, and it affected Sarah a lot, she started to feel the same things I did and she was so confused because I was always distancing myself from others and she couldn't know why. I blame myself for where she is now, luckily, I pulled through, but Sarah didn't, so in a way, it's my fault that she's in a mental institution and that you're here with me."

I clung onto Tristan's hands, touched that he had shared his story with me.

"But without that, I would have never have met you," I said earnestly. He chuckled slightly.

"That's true, without the bad things happening, we might have never found the good things in our life. I guess that's part of life, catching whatever comes at you and making it as best as possible." Tristan looked like he wanted to talk some more, but at that moment there was a knock on the door. A tall young doctor, maybe in his late twenties came in, he was as pale as his white doctor coat and wore long dress trousers that contrasted splendidly with his olive green v-neck sweater. He was accompanied by a high school teenage boy, with red hair and gold eyes, in fact, they both had gold eyes. Like mine.

"Good morning, Dr Sanchez," the handsome Doctor greeted, "I hope we're not interrupting, I'm just here to run a couple of tests on young, Neveah?"

"Yes of course, I best get to work," Tristan kissed me on my brow and wiped the last of my tears off of my face. "I'll bring you home after lunch okay?" I nodded and he left swiftly.