Chapter 14 - Goodbyes

Seth

I watched Neveah carefully, she had gone limp now, too much time spent in LaPush. It had been a couple hours, yet we couldn't do anything because Sam hadn't given instructions.

"Seth, Tell Sam we need to bring her back now, if not she'll die." said Carlisle.

Please Sam, Let her go. I whined out loud, Paul howling in unison.

There was no reply, Sam had blocked all of us out. I looked at Neveah's face, her eyes were looking in my direction, but they were completely blank. Almost dead.

Jacob... I warned, yelping out loud agitatedly trying to make my way to Neveah. Jacob's face was pained, Alpha's orders were orders, but Sam was being irresponsible, he was killing Neveah.

"Carlisle..." Jacob gritted his teeth and I knew Sam was trying hard to stop his words. "Break the treaty!" he breathed deeply, each word like needles on his tongue. "Cross over and take her." He took a small painful step forward, "Please."

"Jacob!" Leah protested,

"She's dying Leah!"

Jacob took another baby step forward, extending his arms out as far as possible, his eyes pleading and pained as he looked at Carlisle.

I whined at the Cullens, willing for them to do something, even if it meant breaking the treaty. Even so, Carlisle hesitated, it was Emmett who dashed over and grabbed Neveah out of Jacob's arms. He was in and out in less than a second, but we all heard the howl ripping through the forest as Sam signalled his anger and distress.

"You better leave now," said Jacob warily, he dipped his head at Carlisle. "Take care of her, we'll update you if we find any trace of the murderers."

Another howl echoed signalling a gathering of the pack. Leah, Jacob, and Paul phased quickly whilst I began to run towards Sam's call.

We met at the outskirts of town, Sam was distressed, pacing back and forth. Beside him, Quill, who lay with his ears flattened against his head and body on the ground.

Tristan is dead, announced Sam angrily. He was killed by a vampire, though they didn't get the chance to... feed. We were able to chase them away just in time, but he was already dead.

Tails and heads drooped, someone snarled angrily.

Whoever this filthy bloodsucker is, this wasn't an accident, Quil heard them targeting Seattle's Mental Institution for Women. Sam looked directly at each of us, That's where Neveah's mother is being kept. They want something from Neveah that she won't give.

There's only one solution then! We turned to look at Leah, her hunches were raised and her trembling lips parted revealing a set of white razor teeth. If we killed Neveah-

How could you suggest such a thing!

Leah!

Hold your fire! I said "If". Leah looked carefully at all of us before turning her attention to Sam. If we killed Neveah, them bloodsuckers will have nothing to hunt for. One life, for dozens more.

She only has one family member left, right? Maybe they'll leave us alone. Paul suggested.

I doubt it, I reckon you're next Paul, your father too, since you're her cousin, Then they'll chase after her lover boy's family, me, mom and then Seth, when they find out that wolves exist, they'll probably try and get the rest of you to work for them. Leah glared at us. It's our only hope.

The rest of the pack exchanged looks, I could hear their thoughts, they were beginning to agree with Leah.

Hold up! Sam walked into the center of the circle. We don't even know what the Volturi are after, what if it's giveable? No one has to get hurt, including Neveah. He spoke directly at me at the ending. We'll talk to Carlisle, find out what's going on and learn our role in this mess. Jacob, Seth, Quil and I will go over to Forks. The rest of you, do a perimeter run, search for any trace, footprint, scent of these intruders and report back to me... We meet at Emily's in ten minutes.